SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Should I go FSBO?

jockewing
13 years ago

My grandmother passed last year and left me her house. I just had a very successful estate sale this past weekend and we were able to clear the house completely--even sold the drapes off the wall!

The house is about 30 years old, 3 bed-2 bath in a nice safe neighborhood in a great shopping and school district area. The street is quiet and clean. It is about 1750 sq feet with nice curb appeal. Her house is in excellent shape--new carpeting, brand new A/C. My grandparents were the only ones to ever live in the house and they kept the place immaculate and well maintained. All I really have to do is touch up paint. I have already ripped down a couple of rooms with wallpaper.

Unfortunately with the way the market is, the few real estate agents I've been talking with are telling me these really low prices. The home is paid for and I don't need the money right away. I would like to sell quickly, but I'm not going to give it away either. My thinking is that I didn't have to pay commission, I could offer it at a lower price and still make more money. A couple of months ago, the lady across the street just stuck a sign in her front yard and got 19 calls the first day, and sold within 2 months without paying an agent--right at the initial asking price--and my house has far greater curb appeal and is much cleaner and nicer on the inside.

I made up a nice flyer that I passed out at the estate sale and already had 2 or 3 people that are interested. I figure I will finish with the few things I wanna to fix up and clean in the house and then stick out a sign. What could it hurt to see if I get lucky? If nothing happens in a couple of months, I could always go the realtor route.

Any thoughts?

Comments (12)