SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papergirl_gw

What and how should I pay my realtor for FSBO I found?

papergirl
12 years ago

Hello again. So the house we were trying to buy from the divorcing couple did not work out. They accepted another offer and did not accept our back-off offer which was $3000 under their asking price and we asked for $4000 in closing. We gave up on that one!

I looked at a for-sale-by-owner home today and like it a lot. My realtor was stuck at the office and I happened to have the day off so I checked it out. It's priced very reasonably and has about 90% of what we are looking for in a house. My realtor is taking us to look at 7 properties tomorrow morning. I told her yesterday that I was grabbing a flyer from this FSBO property but haven't told her I like it yet.

My question is this. Say the house I want to buy is $260,000. Would I have to pay my realtor out-of-pocket in order for her to get some commission if we buy a FSBO? We used her as a selling agent to sell our house and she did a great job. I told her we would use her as a buying agent but we didn't sign a buying agent contract. I would still like her to get a commission when we buy a place but I don't know how it all works. Our first house was new construction so I am new to the buying process. Any advice is welcome, and I apologize if this has been asked before.

Comments (18)