SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Two simple questions - Buyers Agents

sweeby
16 years ago

The thread about the unhappy buyers suing their buyer's agent is very interesting. To me, that lawsuit brings up two very basic and elemental questions that I'd like to pose to the group:

1) Does a buyers agent have a professional responsibility to know the local real estate market well enough to tell if a particular house is significantly overpriced relative to its direct competition?

and

2) If a buyer's agent believes a house is significantly overpriced, does he have an obligation (ethical or legal) to present this opinion to the potential buyers?

I'm expect these are actually the core legal questions the suit is attempting to resolve, and for that reason, I'm very curious to the outcome.

But my personal opinions, are that:

1) I acknowledge that a custom home that is substantially different from its neighbors is hard to put a 'fair' price on, and that virtually every house is different in some way from every other house, and that those differences will affect value. BUT, for a fairly standard tract house in a typical housing development, I do feel a knowledgeable and professional agent should be able to determine the approximate market value, and should be able to tell if such a house is significantly overpriced or not. No, an agent is not an appraiser. But they do typically represent themselves as being knowledgeable about market values -- certainly on the selling side. To then hide behind the 'not an appraiser' shield is playing both sides of the fence.

2) On the issue of whether or not a buyer's agent should inform the prospective buyer if he feels a house is overpriced -- It is my opinion that anyone claiming to represent the buyer's interests has an ethical obligation to disclose that 'to most buyers, in my informed opinion' a given house would probably be worth somewhat less than the asking price. Whether that obligation is ethical or legal would depend on the state law. It's also my opinion that if the buyer's agent is really representing the seller's interests, he has an ethical duty to make that clear to the buyer.

Comments (5)