SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

angled ceilings and ceiling lighting

johnmari
15 years ago

Planning on doing some serious attic insulating in the next few months - didn't get to it last fall and froze our buns all winter - and it makes sense to have all the electrical rigging for the bedroom ceilings put in before that, even if we just cap the boxes and wait to put up the actual fixtures. I plan on a ceiling fan for the MBR, since I really miss having one, and a regular fixture for the other bedroom. I'm not really interested in reviving the discussion of why overhead lighting is horrible, let's just leave it at "I want it there". :-)

Anyhoo, I live in a 1 1/2 story house which means that about a third of each bedroom's ceiling is at easily a 45 degrees angle down to about 4' from the floor. Ceilings are 8' at highest point. I am going back and forth between centering the fixture on the flat section of the ceiling, which puts it off center in the room, or centering it WRT the entire room which puts it well off-center on the flat part of the ceiling, close to where the angle begins. I've taped a balloon to the ceiling in both spots and just can't decide which way to go. It is unnecessary for the ceiling fan to be directly over the bed (it wouldn't be, in either location) and the second bedroom is being used as a library. (By code it's not a real bedroom anyway, since it does not have a functional closet, just a ductwork chase with a door on it and a couple of hooks above the duct LOL - we'll remedy that when it comes time to sell the house.)

Can't post any pictures, sorry, because the layout of the room is pretty weird and the room small enough that I can't get a half-decent shot. It's also still decorated in Early Crapola :-) because a lot of "socks and underwear" work needs to be done before we get to the decorating part.

Comments (6)