SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Starting a new project - size and batting questions.

cziga
12 years ago

I'm about to start one of my major projects for the year - a wedding quilt for a good friend - and I have a few questions that I'd appreciate any input on ...

I want to make her and her new husband a snuggly quilt for watching TV under etc. I was thinking that something around the size of a double bed sized quilt would be appropriate, what do you think? How many blocks (12" blocks) do you use to make a double bed sized quilt, or a nice large TV snuggling kind of quilt? I've never made anything quite this large before and have no idea how many blocks I should be aiming for? (I was thinking maybe 6 across and 7 down, making 42 12" blocks total ... I don't know if this would be too small for what I'm thinking of)??

Additionally, I'm using a pattern that only uses 2 colours, in equal proportions, but I don't know how many meters of fabric to buy for a quilt this size? Any ideas?

And finally, about Batting. I know there has been a lot of discussion in the past about batting. My semi-local fabric store (the closest one) has only poly-blend and I don't really like it. I want something warmer, nice and snuggly. I also want something "poufy". I know that quilting close together makes it flatter, and quilting farther apart (and then washing) lets it pouf more ... but it still feels fairly stiff and not very "poufy". You know what I mean? Is there a batting that you use for something like a blanket quilt that is warm and "poufs" well? Sounds like a weird question I suppose, but I really want to make them a nice comfy quilt. I was thinking of a flannel backing but wanted to try to fins a warm, poufy batting as well. Any suggestions would be most helpful. I am willing to buy the batting online as I don't think any store around me carries anything but poly-blend anymore ... any websites for batting that you use?

Thank you so much for any help ... I'm almost ready to get started (it will take me a long while to make) but it is my first project of this size, the biggest I've done by far, and I really need some help. Thanks :)

Comments (8)