SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downtowner_gw

Does Donald Kaufman market cheap paint as gold?

downtowner
15 years ago

I recently befriended on the Internet someone who is an expert in pigments and makes products for museum restorers, etc. I told him how disappointed I was when I used DK paints, bought the samples, read his books. And that I am much happier now with BM.

He said he looked on the DK website, and it made him laugh. It is an effort to sell c**p as gold. It's all quite technical, but he deconstructed their marketing claims to show that they are using cheaper ingredients "extenders" for a white base instead of expensive titanium oxide, which BM uses. This means that they can use smaller amount of expensive organic pigments to get the same color. This is how the cheap school paints for children are made, he says.

The third way they cheapen the paint is to claim as something special that color changes with changing light. This is called metamerism (Wikipedia calls it matemeric failure.) In the pigment trade, great effort is made to avoid this fault, or minimize it. It takes great experience and resources to achieve a mixture of organic pigments that would not exhibit metamerism. DK markets their metameric failure as a virtue, and charges big bucks for it. I suppose my friend looks on DK paints the way a fine jeweler would look on mood rings or moon stones.

I don't have the expertise to verify his claims, but I do know he is honest, disinterested and technically very knowledgeable. If what he says is true, it makes sense of my own very disappointing experience with all their hype and quite a few similar expressions of disappointment I have read elsewhere in the Internet.

As a practical matter, if you like any of the colors from DK or similar exotic paint sources, I would not hesitate to suggest that you get it color matched by BM. I just found a website www.myperfectcolor.com that will do it on the web for you, if you give them the DK color #.

No offense to anyone who loves their expensive paint. If you love it and it works for you, go with it. Color is a very subjective thing. But for anyone who has been disappointed by them, or is thinking of trying them, I wish I had had this information before wasting a lot of time and money for something that turned out not to be special at all.

Like many here, I am a sucker for higher quality, even if it costs more. GW is a great place to exchange hard to obtain expertise to protect us from the many charlatans who will take advantage of our love of beauty and quality.

Comment (1)