SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrslick

Growing my Market Garden and other random ideas/thoughts

As the fall is coming upon us fast, I long for the days of spring and summer. I am ready for next year. I am excited about extending my growing season with the spinach and lettuce I have coming up in my high tunnels. I know it is a little late, but we will see what happens. I also am thrilled that I still have tomatoes and cherry tomatoes in my high tunnels after it froze last weekend. I have all kinds of ideas and more mind power is going into my market garden than teaching! Although, I am working the two together sometimes, "Bill buys 2.5 pounds of tomatoes at $2.50 a pound, how much will it cost?" Gotta work on that multiplication!

Well on to my ideas/thoughts/ramblings?

How can I grow my garden sales? I think I have figured out how much I can produce with the area I have. The problem is selling it all. I always have more left over than I would like to have.

Ideas:

I also am wanting to reduce the number of markets I go to by one to start a CSA, maybe.

I also am toying with the idea of trying to sell some things wholesale/local grocery store (did a little bit of this past year)

Leaving my small hometown market (I am the largest producer there) and start selling two days a week in a larger town or getting my wife and family involved with selling in my hometown and me selling in another town on Saturdays.

Go to selling only once a week and travel to a large city and sell there on Saturdays.

Branching out into selling pork and lamb. My family raises pork and friends raise lamb. I was wondering about getting them processed and then selling meat too. I am aware of all the guidelines, my mom use to do this during the 90's it was good, her health didn't allow her to do it anymore.

Building my jelly business and get it into several stores in the surrounding area. I am working on this, I know what I have to do.

All these ideas and I can only do a few of them. What would you do? Has anyone changed how they market their produce?

I have learned how to be successful at succession plantings. I also have learned that somethings take up too much space and the return is not that great to grow them (in my small area) IE watermelon, cantaloupe, pumpkins and sweet corn.

I learned to grow what grows best for you and your location.

I still want to do more. I feel that there is something more out there and I don't feel that I have found it. Is there more out there?

Thanks for reading my comments and I would like to start a thread on how to grow your market and what works and what doesn't.

Jay

Comments (17)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone