SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

New hardwood floors - colour/design questions

Scarlett001
11 years ago

I have a split level home. The following features of my home are important to my question: (i) There is a den on the entry level of the house that has existing older laminate floor (in good shape) that is a light/mid golden oak colour. (ii) On the main level (one half-flight of stairs upwards), I have the kitchen and living room. The kitchen is ceramic tile. The living room is now carpet (to be changed to hardwood). (iii) The den (existing laminate) and the living room (to be hardwood) are not only on different levels but are not in direct line of sight from one another (you cannot see one room from the other). (iv) Baseboards, window casings, kitchen cabinets, stair rails and all doors in the entire house are a light/mid golden oak colour.

I am changing the living room to hardwood (plus the stairs leading from entry level up to the living room). I have a relatively limited budget. I may change the laminate flooring in the entry-level den to hardwood in 3-4 years when/if I have money, but for now it is in good condition so it will stay. I have no money to change trim. I have no plans to sell the house so resell value is not any concern for many years.

My issue is this. I am deciding on the colour for my new hardwood floor in the living room (the main room I spend time in). I am going with oak, but the oak hardwood flooring in most stores is either a too-pale "natural-stained" oak that is much lighter than the existing laminate/trim and moreover I don't like these paler colours, or otherwise it is darker than my light/mid golden oak laminate/trim. Light/mid tones of oak are difficult to find.

What colour of oak do I prefer? I prefer oaks that are mid-intensity in colour so somewhat richer/darker than the existing laminate/trim but not way darker. Will it matter if I choose an oak hardwood colour that does not perfectly replicate the laminate/trim if all colours "work together" as a package (similar undertones, no bad colour clashing and knowing that one day I may change the laminate)? Thoughts?

This post was edited by Scarlett001 on Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 19:02

Comments (9)