SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
medha_nanal

Design questions regarding a hardwood floor?

homey_bird
15 years ago

Hello,

(Cross-posting from Flooring where I was told that I can get a more design-oriented feedback here on this forum).

We are planning to lay hardwood flooring in about 1000 sqft of our home. I have researched about hardwood flooring regarding Engineered/Pre-finished etc etc; but those are very technical details.

What I am not able to find is, aesthetic considerations in choosing the plank width and the pattern.

- is there a rule of thumb for choosing a plank width? (E.g. my living area is an open 15'x25' rectangle with windows on diagonal ends and lots of light on it).

- how do I select the direction of the flooring? I know that the planks, lengthwise, will make that dimension longer. How does this apply to my space?

For example, if the entry into this area is from the middle of the longer side of this rectangle, then should the flooring be seen horizontal or vertical?

- Would herringbone work? (My space is modern by the way). If so, any suggestions on the direction of the herringbone?

- We are sold onto a light-to-medium stain (we love dark but certainly do not want the space to look smaller). Will character hardwood look good or would it look too busy? We do plan to lay area rugs and though not over-furnished, we do have stuff in these areas. Also note that there will be a medium cherry dining table with 6 chairs over this surface and I do not intend to get a very woody look.

Any ideas/inputs will be appreciated! Pictures/links would be fantastic! Also if I missed any previous threads with this theme please point me to these. I tried searching on this forum as well as decorating forum but could not find it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (8)