SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Advice asap please - new hardwood questions to suit my home

Scarlett001
10 years ago

Okay, I posted a while ago about hardwood widths and the replies really got me thinking. For various reasons, I want/need to get the hardwood ordered in the next few days so am requesting advice asap (in next day or so).

I've chosen the hardwood colour and type (oak, colour to match existing hardwood in other rooms), so those are not issues. My remaining issues are board widths (2 1/4" vs. 3 1/4") and finish (cashmere vs. high gloss). The hardwood is for my living room.

(i) Board width. I thought that I wanted 2 1/4" boards. But thinking more about the kind of slightly Tuscan, slightly rustic design that I am heading towards, I am now thinking 2 1/4" boards may be too classic and more traditional/Victorian etc. in appearance. So I am now wondering if 3 1/4" boards are more appropriate for the look I want (any wider not an option as I want solid hardwood, and where I live 3 1/4" is max width for stability). Thoughts?

(ii) Finish is other remaining issue. Semi-gloss seems to bring out the colour of the wood rather nicely (light to medium warm-toned oak colour), but the company's semi-gloss is rather shiny and that does not seem quite right for the look I am creating. Would I be better to go with their "cashmere" which is closer to matte/satin (low sheen level)? I have 5 cats, and I hear the lower gloss is better with pets or you see pawprints and scratches sometimes. Thoughts?

====================================

To help answer questions, first is an "inspiration" picture of a room that I like, and that I am kind of following for my overall interior design/colours. But I don't want tile in the living room, so going with hardwood. I will also attach photos of kitchen which is attached to living room (you can see living room in one photo, it is the room with the grey carpet looking into the kitchen). It is a small living room about 13 feet x 13 feet.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths