SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Master Bedroom-windows/drapes

dakota01
14 years ago

The framing for my new house is going up this week. I have to decide on all the windows. I didn't realize that there are egress window requirements. I was hoping to use the custom drapes from my prior home, found out that I had casement (skinny windows) and now I have to use single hung due to egress and also because I have choosen to only have the muttons in the top part of my windows. So my window must be at least 3 feet wide. The casing is craftsan style 3 1/2 in wide.

I was hoping to have 2 windows on either side of my bed. With the size of my bed I only have a total of 9 feet left for the windows. take the 3 feet and then the 3 1/2 casing on each side, I have very little ( a few inches) left and I'm worried that my drapes (valances/sheers) will be too close to the bed and to the window. My bed has a frame on the top taking the top to 68 inches.

Does anyone have thier draperies very close to their bed as well as at the end of the walls?

I really dont' want to buy new drapes, I like them . I was thinking that maybe in this room I could make the casing smaller and that MIGHT help. Would a 2 1/2 window casing look odd with a 5 inch baseboard.

Looking for any suggestions that you can give me. BUilder isn't keen on changing the windows (coz I could make them smaller) to casement as then at a minimum they would need to be 5"6 tall.

Help

Comments (9)