SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Opinions needed for my curtain color

nhb22
14 years ago

What do you think about the color of these curtains for my Master bedroom? This was all I could find in the budget that DH and I have set. We have 4 window openings (2 singles, 1 double, and a french door set), so need lots of panels and hardware $$$. If I only had one or two windows, I could get a higher priced curtain. However, I have to say that I am VERY impressed with what I have found from JCPenny. It's the faux silk Mystique collection from Chris Madden. The panels are lined, and also have a heavy thermal interlining made of cotton flannel. Very rich and full looking.

I have been wanting curtains to soften the wood blinds, and also the bed post. Plus, I wanted the curtain to sort of frame the print we have over the bed. It is really too narrow for the space. In addition, we can certainly use the thermal lining to keep cold out in the winter, and warmth out in the summer. Our bedroom is always too cold or too hot.

I am trying out one panel in a 95" length. The 8 panels will be hung on wider rods (with or without clips) and pool on the floor. Currently, I have the one panel strung on a metal rod and hung from fishing wire. LOL

The only color that will go with my room is this Aspen Gold. I am afraid the gold is too dark. On the other hand, the darker color gives a nice contrast. The gold is the correct tone of the walls, and the color IS in the rug. The fringe on my comforter is slightly lighter, as are the lamp shades (lamps are next on my list to replace.) My only other option would be to get some lighter gold sheers which would not be a rich looking, nor do anything for the temperature.

Please disregard the dust skirt. I took my long plaid skirt off for the summer, and replaced with the skirt that came with my comforter. It's too short, so it is coming off and I will have the exposed wood look for the summer.

Do y'all think these curtains will work? The photos show them looking a bit more bronze than they actually are, so keep that in mind. You will also have to imagine them being on the other windows. :)

Full back wall view

{{gwi:1676094}}

Panels will go to corners of back wall and then on nearby window (which is the double.) With curtain panels in place, I may move the larger table under the window. I think we tried it before, but cannot remember why it didn't work.

{{gwi:1662427}}

Closeup - The lighter color you see at the edge of the curtain is actual what it looks like to the naked eye.

{{gwi:1676095}}

Curtain with close-up of rug

{{gwi:1676096}}

Side view

{{gwi:1676097}}

So sorry this post is so long! Thanks.

Comments (34)

• gmnolen
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think they look great! Beautiful room, by the way.

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

First I have to say your room is lovely! I love the rug.
    I think the curtain color is perfect for your room. It looks great with the paint color as well as the rug. I have been window shopping JC Penney curtains for years, and it is so great to hear someone is happy with the quality! It is amazing how quickly curtain panels can add up when you have multiple windows isn't it?!

• Related Discussions

Need help/opinions on outdoor shade or curtain..(Pic included)

Q

Comments (6)
    The slab is 24x14. Rough cost was 45k. Thats including, granite, all cypress ceilings and cabinets, 46" TV, sound system, sink, Bull 36" gas grill and side burner, fridge, stainless gas/woodburning fireplace, raised concrete slab, gutters, stucco, etc... We absolutely love it. Can get kinda crowded at times. Another 2' on the depth would have helped out alot. Other than the weather issue I am having now, I have no complaints. The TV was purposely positioned over the fireplace facing the jacuzzi! Best seat in the house for LSU and Saints games! That ought to answer your state question. lol Jimbar, I did a search for roller shades and cant find any info on shades like you have in the pic. Who did these for you and what was the cost? Thanks! That does look like something I would be looking for.
    ...See More

Need help - North Facing Room conundrum - opinions on my colors (pics)

Q

Comments (39)
    Hi again Mysteryegg -- have you run screaming from your own thread yet? Just a quick question so we can incorporate our various views into helping you find a LR-to-hall color that makes you happy...even though if it's one color it will probably look a little different room to room! can you share some photos/art/clothing that you're drawn to? could be rooms, landscapes, street scenes? can you tell us a bit about why you like what you're sharing? Sometimes that helps provide a great starting point when combined with a room's lighting, geographic location, "permanent" elements like floors or tile etc. Because if you're someone who's drawn to soft misty shades, or bold jewel tones, or earthy forest hues and your room's natural + artificial lighting isn't doing your favs justice...that's where compromise happens. You'll either need to get to a color that works well *enough* for your personality AND place or choose a side.* *see April, I did read your posts ;) Temperament: it may explain that Scandi love of white walls even when the snow's up to their chins.
    ...See More

I need your opinion on curtain placement/adding panels

Q

Comments (25)
    I think your curtains are fine but the dark window and door surrounds are not a good look. You could paint them the color of the wall or white like the curtains. I think that would help a lot. Otherwise this area is very nice, like the rug and furniture, it all flows together very well. It's the dark frames that stick out and don't relate to anything else in the rooms.
    ...See More

Curtain opinions needed

Q

Comments (4)
    Jinx - Those Anthro curtains are very pretty! I actually like the idea of incorporating some green since there is green in several of the art pieces I will be using in the room. And thanks so much for the mockups! It really helps to see the prints next to the rug. My initial favorite was #3 - the shibori print - but I really like #2 best next to the rug if I stick with a navy & white print. Though now I'm leaning towards that floral!
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I did some "Paint" magic to get a better idea of the overall look (well, at least the back wall.)

{{gwi:1676098}}

• ellendi
    14 years ago

I agree. The panels look great with the wall color, your spread and your rug. Consider it a "done deal!"

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Those look gorgeous! JCP has some nice quality items at great prices. The gold works, and I like the contrast with the walls. They will soften the room too.

I recently saw a room on television that reminded me of your room, and an aqua damask was used for the windows. It was very pretty and fresh.

Something like these panels (but with a creamy color combined with the aqua), which are from Country Curtains:

Your room is just beautiful.

Jan

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Along with the lamps, and possibly the side table, I am going to replace the pillow bolsters (the cylinder shapes that went with my previous comforter) with some made out of the curtain fabric. I can buy one smaller panel to make the bolsters and a throw pillow for the chair that matches the larger square pillow. That chair has been needing something as well.

{{gwi:1675051}}

What would you think of a square mirror over the head of bed instead of the print? I have my eye on a gold framed antique mirror that I saw downtown. It has been reduced. If not for over the bed, I could use it in the bedroom entrance hall. My DH loves that print where it is, however.

• htnspz
    14 years ago

honestly, I like it but I'm not sure I love it. I'd keep looking and consider different colors like the one Jan suggested. Part of the problem is the painting though, so I would play with both of them in search of the right combo.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I think you have a wonderful blending of colors, but don't think I would add more of the gold. Maybe pick out pillows that are the slightly olive-y color in the rug. Rather than one piece of art over the bed, how about a grouping of five smaller pieces? I personally don't like a mirror over the bed~~bad feng shui. ;o)

• dawnp
    14 years ago

I think the curtains look great. I love that color, the way they blend with the walls, and how they seem to pick up the accent color in the bedding.

I love your paint color - would you share what it is?

I like the painting over the bed but to me, forgive me, it doesn't look like it's the right size for that spot. I think you need something round or rectangular the other way. (longer horizontally)

I love your taste and your room!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't think Jan was suggesting that color for me. What she posted reminded her of my room...which the curtains are similar with my comforter. And, with the comforter, gold really is the only color to go. I could never find that shade of green in a curtain. It's almost an apple green, and so is the green in the rug. ;)

patty_cakes - I forgot about the feng shui. I'll just stick to the painting that DH loves. He would never go for smaller prints. I'll look for some ready made pillows to go on the bed.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

For almost as long as I can remember, I've been crazy about contrast at the windows........but for some reason, the last 3 or 4 years, I prefer something that blends closer with the wall color. It doesn't have to match, but it shouldn't contrast.
    I think your room is lovely. I also like the idea of the antique mirror, although, I would probably go looking for an oval or round mirror to break up the squared off look of the windows, bed, etc. The print is pretty too.
    Those curtains do the trick for me. I think they are just the right color for the room and look wonderful. They have enough depth and contrast with the wall color, yet they blend everything together.

Red

• loribee
    14 years ago

I think they are lovely...perfect in your stunning room.

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

I think they look amazing!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Love the look with the curtains! I think they blend everything together beautifully!

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Red - Maybe I'll get some round throw pillows, and make sure the lamp shades are round, but judging by DH's attitude last night, I think the print is staying. He didn't say anything about the curtains. He doesn't really care for any curtains, plus he was in a bad mood.

Thanks to all for your encouragement. I'm convinced to keep the curtains, but have to first run them by my toughest critics. Both my daughters are coming over today to give their opinions. This is a big step for me.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, after much deliberating, and before my daughters even come over, I have decided that the curtains are just too dark. I think I need more contrast with the blinds, and a color closer to the walls - more yellow/gold than bronze/gold.

Unfortunately, the only lined curtain panels that I have found are the La Scala from JCPenny, and they are just too expensive @ $99 a panel.

Looks like I am going to have to go with sheers, or a sheerer curtain. I saw a couple of possibles yesterday, but I think they cost about the same as the Mystique. Hate to pay the same for a lesser product. Cindy Crawford has a lesser expensive curtain that looked good online, but after seeing it in person, I was disappointed. Didn't look at all faux silk. Maybe it will look better hung up on the wall.

I need to get all this done this evening or tomorrow morning, while the sale is on at our local JCPenny. Not only are the curtains on sale, but they have an extra 15% off $75 or more, plus a tax free discount. Leaving at noon tomorrow to spend Easter with my parents. Plus, I am doing all the cooking today!

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Well, I'm late to the party but I think the color was fine - not too dark at all. You want some contrast in there. My thoughts are that I would not puddle the curtains and that just doesn't work with the windows on either side of the bed - due to the bedposts.

I would not go for a sheer or sheerer curtain. With the fabrics in your room I think the richness of silk or faux silk are what you need. If they are out of the budget now, I'd save my pennies and wait a bit rather than *settle*, but that's just me. I find if I go with something rather than what I really like/want, I am not happy.

Penneys has sales all the time, so don't feel like you have to make a rushed decision. You might also look at Tuesday Morning, they often have silk panels.

You don't have alot of pattern in the room (without your plaid bedskirt), so I would use some sort pattern for more pillows rather than matching them to the curtain.

Enjoy the time with your parents!

tina

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

SOS SOS.....newhomebuilder, I bought very pale gold panels in a faux silk at Walmart, lined, $19.99 per panel. The tabs are in *back* at the top, so they sheer on, but look like pleating when hung. Go have a look. ;o)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Tina! If I decided to wait, the curtains would never get done, because that money would be spent elsewhere. I can think of more important things to spend that $800 on. ;)

One thing I don't understand from your first paragraph.

"My thoughts are that I would not puddle the curtains and that just doesn't work with the windows on either side of the bed - due to the bedposts."

Why shouldn't I puddle, and what doesn't work?

Alright, I think I have changed my mind again. lol Both daughters (ages 28 and 25) have come and gone at separate times. Both walked into the room and LOVED the look!

One daughter said not to go lighter, one said if I felt better with the lighter, that would be alright, too. However, she liked the dark better. And both said NO to sheers. An unlined drape would be fine, though.

Oldest daughter said she didn't like the gathered on the rod look. I told her that I planned on folding under the upper curtain and hanging them from rings anyway, and she liked that idea. Got the idea from a reviews on the Mystique curtains.

"Hung the drapes on rings w/ clips and a 1 1/2 in. thick rod w/ elaborate finials. I folded the tops of the panels down and clipped them at the first sewn seam (this makes them hang really nicely, as if they have heavy interfacing at the top) as this was how they were displayed at the store."

Tina, this process will raise the curtains to barely touching the floor instead of puddling.

Also, I realized something when measuring for the rods. I am limited to how wide I have the panels on either side of the window because the side that ends at the corner is only 13" from trim to corner. I pulled the panel in more and took another photo for you. I also borrowed some more pillows from the living room that I think work in the bedroom (not that I will put them on the bed every day.:)) Tina, I can try to find some with a pattern that don't clash with the chair or rug. That's a good idea. Haven't decided if I should put the bed skirt back on.

What do y'all think now?

{{gwi:1676100}}

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did look at Wal-Mart and didn't see what I needed. Saw some online, but was afraid to buy them sight-unseen. Did you get 96"? What is the name, and could you link me to them online to see if they are the same I was looking at. Could you post a photo?

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

patty - cakes - Is this the curtain?
    It does come in 95" but was not in stock. I'd love to see it in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wal-Mart Faux Silk

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

Ha! I just ordered those curtains from WalMart in gold a few days ago. I saw them in the store and was really impressed with them but I wanted to get the longer length (which they didn't have in the store). I found them very comparable to any of the curtains I have from JCP.

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I think the curtains look great. I have those exact JCP Chris Madden curtains and love them. The hang so nicely with all that thick lining. I hve another pair of gold curtains for my LR that I bought at BBB and they aren't nearly as nice.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kristine - Do you have them yet, so that you could post a photo?

I tried "Painting" the soft gold in my photo, but it came out small. Can't tell if I like the look or not. In the meantime, DH came home early (in a good mood) and said he likes the curtains. We are planning to go to JCPenny tonight and get the rest. However, I am thinking of ordering the Wal-Mart brand and seeing which I like the best. Would save me about $100...enough to buy 2 curtain rods. lol

{{gwi:1676101}}

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Yeps, sure are. Why don't you pick up one pair to see how you like the color w/bedspread and paint color before ordering? Might save you the time of sending back if they don't work.

Kristine, I agree re:JC Penney drapes. I purchased Chris Madden Mystique valances, and at $39 each weren't even lined, but did have a quite a bit of accent fringe~probably what I paid for. IMO, Penney's quality re:home decor/furniture is above average. ;o)

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kristine - Do you have them yet, so that you could post a photo?

I tried "Painting" the soft gold in my photo, but it came out small. Can't tell if I like the look or not. In the meantime, DH came home early (in a good mood) and said he likes the curtains. We went to JCPenny tonight and got the rest. However, I am thinking of ordering the Wal-Mart brand and seeing which I like the best. Would save me about $100...enough to buy 2 curtain rods. lol

{{gwi:1676101}}

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hit the "submit" button before I left tonight, and when I got home a few minutes ago, the screen said "message rejected." I changed the wording a bit to say we got the curtains, hit submit and now see I have two almost identical post.

patty_cakes - I'll go back and look at Wal-Mart again, but didn't see them (or at least anything I thought I might like) when I was there last week. Have to go back anyway because I will now be out curtain rod shopping. Need to get a good deal on those. I need 6 rods. Two long 96" for the double and French doors, two singles ( 64"), another double for my bathroom (I have to order those curtains in 64" length), and a double for my sons room. JCPenny had a special on some cream cotton panels that match his bedspread exactly!

Thanks again for all the help! Happy Easter if i don't get back to this thread tomorrow.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

NHB, go to HD or Lowe's and purchase closet dowling. You can get it up to 2" in diameter and either 10'-12' ft. in length. It's so much per foot, but it will depend on the diameter also. Since you know the lengths, have them cut your 6 pieces, allowing a little extra on the ends for finials(?)~~I like to have the ends of the rod about 4" beyond the window. You can then paint, stain, gold leaf, or just leave as is. If you are wanting thick, chunky, rods, you'll save a ton of money! You can use anything for finials~~I once hot glued a sterling silver pair of salt/pepper shakers to each end....who knew?? ;o)

• rocky08
    14 years ago

You may want to look at Target. I bought some faux silk lined panels for $19.99 a piece and they are really nice. Not sure if they have gold, but it would be pay to check it out. BTW, the length was 84" for that price. HTH!

• bonnieann925
    14 years ago

They look great! Can't wait to see them up at all the windows in the room.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

I love the panels and I think the color is exactly right and not too dark.

• nhb22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

patty_cakes - I did think of making my own. Since I am using rings, I'd probably go with the iron pipe idea. However, I am think that after adding everything up, unless I couldn't get the length I needed (I was counting the finials into that measurement which will have to be short due to the wall corners. I would like as much curtain coverage between the window and corner wall.)that ready made would be cheaper. That is, if I can find a deal!

Oh, funny that you mentioned "gold leaf." I was reading Southern Living in bed last night and a home had long gold panels hung from clips. The curtain rods were shiny brass, and I had a thought that perhaps antique brass would look good with my curtains. I had thought oil rubbed bronze, but that kind of clashes with my wood bedpost. Black is out, as is shiny brass. My ceiling fan is dark cherrywood, with an oil bronze look, but also has a medallion of bronze (antique brass)look. What do you think?

rocky08 - I looked at Target, too. I'll check them out for rods, though.

BTW - With the discount coupons and the tax incentive that JCPenny was running, I ended up getting the $34.99 curtain panel for $27 including tax! To compare, the 84" were advertised at $29.99, so the end result for that length would have been around $21. For the weight, 95"length, look and feel of these curtains, I think I did pretty well. :)

bonnieann925 and cattknap - Thank you! I am pleased now. Took me a while. I'll be sure and post the end result when they are hung. I'll start the rod hunt after my weekend.

• User
    14 years ago

Perfect color.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

NHB, So happy to hear things are working out for you! I didn't see the JCPenny drapes, but if they're the same quality as the Walmart one, you'll be happy. As for the rods, I gold leafed mine in the MB of my last home, but left them, sheers, and drapes, now i'm kicking myself. They may have been a little shorter, but I could have added a co-ordinating fabric or even a nice fringe~live and learn.

I use that discount code every time I order, or if it's a free shipping deal. Right now i'm thinking of adding a valance on the door in the kitchen to match the ones on the window~Chris Madden Mystique in the ebony plaid fabric.

By the way, I have the identical Rice bed. It's almost 20 years old and as beautiful as the day I bought it. I like the drop leaf table being used as a nightstand too~love a space I can fill up w/books and magazines~I love to sit in bed and 'dream' too. It seems I get more inspired when I read in bed. I always have my pen and tablet handy.

Will be on the look-out for pics of the new drapes. ;o)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH