SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Oh My Gosh . . . My DH Just Bought Me . . .

lynninnewmexico
16 years ago

. . . two of the most beautiful mahogany chests of drawers for our dining room as a surprise gift! I'm totally floored!

We've worked so hard over the years to furnish our home nicely. We've just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and all this time, we've had his old, ugly, awful childhood chest of drawers in our dining room to store linens, candles and games in. It's embarrassing, but it was very low on our priority list of things to buy.

We'd talked to our KD when we had our total kitchen remodel late last year and he came up with a built-in long hutch, but the price was $17,000.00 . . . not including labor!!! Needless to say, we said thanks but no thanks!

Last week my bestfriend and I were in a big antique & consignment shop in town when I spotted this set, along with the beautiful old floor lamp I was talking to Oceanna about. I went back to buy the lamp on Wednesday and it was already sold, but I looked again at the chests. They're from the Twenties or Thirties, built very well and are solid mahogany. One is short and wide and the other is narrow and tall . . . and absolutely perfect for the walls on either side of the French doors in our dining room!!! It's like they were made for that spot . . . about 87 years ago!

Anyhoo, last night at the dinner table DH mentioned that his old dresser was looking very tacky, especially since we'd redone the family room and kitchen. I told him about the chests and he seemed only politely interested, but that's it.

This afternoon, unbeknownst to me, he snuck out to look at them. Actually, he doesn't have to sneak out, as he's the boss, but you know what I mean ;^P . . . and he bought them! He just called me, with a big,happy "Surprise, guess what I've just bought for you!". We're picking them up tomorrow morning.

I can't wait to show you them ;^)

Comments (28)