SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahi_gw

Restoring a cedar deck & reducing baluster distance - plan check

sahi
17 years ago

Hi, my wife and I are planning to restore our deck. Fortunately I came across this board before I slapped on another layer of Olympic clear sealant from Costco. Those will be going back shortly.

We bought the house a year ago, so not sure how old the deck is. The water still beads in most places but the deck is completely gray. A few boards are splitting, same story with the hand rail. A couple of boards have dry rot. The wood is knotty cedar. The deck is 24Â by 12Â. Lots of raised grain on all boards (more so on the horizontal ones and the ones which get no shade at all)

The previous owner had that Olympic clear sealant on deck, so I first need to get rid of that. After going through the treasure trove of information available on this board I have devised this plan, what do you folks thinkÂ

1. TWP Safe strip to remove that clear sealant. Hopefully it will get rid of that sealant.

2. Pressure wash (2.2 GPM, 2400 psi) with the very wide tip so as to reduce the pressure

3. TWP Wood Brightener for Cedar & Redwood. To tell you the truth, I am not sure if I should be going with TWP Wood Brightener Plus instead. Description for TWP WB Cedar & Redwood on one of the websites said "only for conditioning, use TWP Brightener Plus for restoring decks, logs etc"

4. Pressure wash

5. Wait for it to dry

6. Sand the whole deck with Porter Cable Random Orbital sander with 40 grit and then follow with 80 (or maybe just done one run with 60)

7. Vacuum the sanding dust. Anything else I can do to remove that sanding dust? Pressure wash maybe, or wipe with acetone?

8. Replace the damaged boards, and get rid of mill glaze by applying TWP wood prep.

9. TWP 116

Also, the distance between the spindles(2x2 cedar) on our deck is 5 1/2 inches, and we are always worried having our son (1 yr) and his friends on the deck. I am thinking of just sticking a 2x2 spindle right next to every existing one. Reduces the distances to the desired 4". If I put one in the center of the two it reduces the distance to 2" which might be too close. Any other ideas, suggestionsÂ

I am thinking of doing this as part of step 8 above.

IÂll greatly appreciate input and suggestions. Ken and John I would love to get your expert advice.

Here is a before picture After will come after.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before picture

Comments (2)