SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blu3fin

Garapa Deck DIY

blu3fin
10 years ago

Hi,

My name is Nate. I have been planning on tearing down my old deck since i bought my house a couple years ago so that I can build a better one (and safer -- the current one stands 8' high and the ledger is nailed over the siding). I think that i have done my homework, both in these forums and on other sites. I have a decent amount of experience with DIY and woodworking, and I will be receiving help from a buddy, who is a pro concrete forms guy. I am first posting here to have any of the pros or experienced deck DIY guys take a look and make sure that the details of my plans make sense and ask a few questions about the guard rail. I plan on keeping this thread updated with progress and pictures later on as I tackle this project.

Decking - 5/4 Garapa from East Teak. I am planning on using the starborn pro plug system (buying extra bits too) to face screw and plug. Anyone have experience with these? The headcotes seem to get a fair amount of love, so i am assuming this product is pretty decent. I understand it might not be the most cost effective for a pro, but for a one-time diy, it seems like a good choice. Any input on this? I figure other options are ordering plugs from east teak or making my own (i do have a drill press). Having to use multiple bits should not really be a drawback, between my buddy and i we will have 4 drills and 4 drivers.

Guard rail - I am torn on this. I do know i plan on using the aluminum dekorators balusters. But I can't decide on the posts and rails. First thought is just to use Garapa for posts and rails with the black dekorators, but i really like the look of white posts, balusters, and rails with a garapa cap. What would be the best wood for the posts and rails if i were to paint them white? If i paint WRC, will that be a pita to maintain (how often would i be re-painting)? I figure it wouldn't be terrible since it would only be the rails and posts. Also does Garapa machine well enough to route a small edge profile in the rail cap with a 3hp on a table or i will that be a pita?

Comments (9)