SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelson_ohio

ipe deck progress part 2 (with pictures)

nelson_ohio
16 years ago

OK, more updates. Thanks to some memeber inputs, things have gone relatively well. The Deckroator screws are holding up better. I actually found out my 18V makita impact may be breaking these screws, but my 12V panasonic impact works fine. By the time I figured this out, I only have a few screws to go.

The biggest problem I had was the 2nd stair stringer, I somehow calculated the level wrong, and the concrete pad was 4" lower than what I thought was going to be. So I cut a new stringer, and it still didn't fit. It turns out I was measuring from the top of the level, and didnt' take the thickness of the level into account. It's actually 6.5" low. So I had to cut another stringer, and finally got it right. Now it's a 6 step stair, instead of 5. Everything else went well, worked on it almost every day, 2-3 hours after work, and 9 hours on Sat/Sun.

I have to say East Teak has been great to work with. You should make sure you calculate your quantity right, I was short 1 pc facial board, can't find it locally. Had to pay $40 just for shipping for one 8' piece.

Here are some pics. I will have more by this weekend, getting ready for the RAD.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here are some close up of the railing top, got this idea from Decks NJ picture. I hope they don't mind me doing this. This was the first 2 pieces I tried, not perfect, but got better after these.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)