SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackson2009_gw

Flooring: Would you rather....

jackson2009
15 years ago

I am doing a minor reno of my kitchen - new countertop (laminate)and adding in a new refrigerator and dishwasher in SS. I have the old honey/orangey oak cabinets and the countertops are going to be very dark (Formica Mineral Jet is probably going to be my choice.) The problem is my floor. It is smooth, shiny very light tile with dark brown grout lines - the color is kind of a faux marble effect with soft white and creamy ivory colors. It's way too light for my tastes and, in my opinion, for the overall look I am trying to achieve in the kitchen. We are going to sell within 1-2 years...

So, as a potential buyer, would you rather have a very light tile floor that doesn't really look great with the overall kitchen just so you can say 'I have tile floors in my kitchen' or would you rather have a vinyl floor that looks better overall in the whole scheme of the kitchen, even though it's "only" vinyl?

I am pretty much set on the vinyl since I can get the overall look I want and because this room is very cold in the winter and the tile just radiates the cold. Just a note, too, this is not a 'high end' home. I think vinyl floors, not tile, would be standard in area homes. My guess is that most buyers would be happy to have a very nice looking, updated kitchen and not care about the tile. I think I just feel like I am going backwards by taking out tile and putting in vinyl.

Any thoughts?

Comments (31)