SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

Would you rather...

MBAK
3 years ago

Looking for opinions on different layout options..

Bought an existing house that we are gut renovating and putting on 30' x 21' addition for a large open kitchen and family room. I'd like an island and a small eat-in-kitchen table.. but concerned the space will be tight and trying to do too much. We do have a small dining room as well.

FYI - We can't change the size of the garage (know it's small) and can't change the width or depth of the home any further without variances. The 30' x 21' space is currently a blank slate - windows, sliding door to backyard, walkways from rest of house, etc. can all be revised.

Curious what others would prefer -

Plan A -

-I like the flow from kitchen to pantry and buffet to dining room

-I like larger mudroom

-Hallway opening up into this room is not centered, it's more on left.. so here the family room is on smaller width side of house

-Worried about cramming an eat-in-kitchen table somewhere in kitchen area

-Could swap the pantry and powder room to get kitchen on other side of house - but then powder room walls are connected to kitchen and dining room.. does that bother you?

Plan B -

(This is me messing around with some drafts someone did for us so apologies for rudimentary edits)

-Mudroom and pantry would be smaller

-But it would get kitchen wall closer to 23' so perhaps enough room for eat-in-kitchen

-Also opens up dining room space a little more

Would love to hear opinions about each layout and what you like/dislike. Would you rather the larger kitchen space for an eat-in-kitchen? Would you rather larger mudroom?

And I understand eventually my architect can coach me through all this. I'm not mentally there yet and just looking for thoughts and things I'm not considering as I've never owned a house before.

THANK YOU!!!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012