SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westiemom_gw

Layout help...PLEASE!

westiemom
14 years ago

I just got a layout back from one of the MANY places we've been looking. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Our current kitchen has a peninsula with cabinets above it. I have eliminated it in this version but now wonder if I will miss the seating...do I have room for any type of island? The ceilings are 7'8"...we will be taking out the bulkhead and extend the cabinets as far as possible and then trim with crown molding. There is just DH and me, no kids only four footed furry kind. I would like all

drawers in the lower cabinets except for the trash pullout and tray storage. Please let me know what else you need!

Thanks!...Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Origional Layout

Comments (43)

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Opps!...Here is the other wall!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

It looks pretty good, layout-wise...BUT, I wouldn't want those cabinets down beside the stove so that you have to work around them...I think you could get a similar look without the inconvenience. It not only crowds the stove area, but severely limits the counter space to either side. Where you might have roomy work area, it's now all cut up. You could have them shorter and/or shallower, or do something like we're planning, which is to have some hefty corbels that will angle back out of the way so the counter space isn't disrupted.

You don't have room for an island in this layout. Even if you eliminated the section of cabs with the fridge, and incorporated the fridge and micro into one of the legs of the L, you'd only have room for about a 30" island with seating only on the outside end...so for 1 person.

You could consider adding a short peninsula back on if you think you'll miss the seating. That's a hard call for anyone to make but you. Is there a dining area at the edge of the room so a table is nearby? If so, I think you could likely adapt to the lack of kitchen seating.

The drawings of our kitchen range area with corbels instead of the towers:

What it looks like so far (corbels not installed...They will be gray and be in place of the wood strips):

• Related Discussions

EDITED (photos added) Living room layout help please!

Q

Comments (16)
    Consider a grouping of four swivel chairs in front of the fireplace and a pair of upholstered benches at the two windows; game area in the corner if your bunch enjoy that kind of family time. I see a chain hanging from the ceiling which reminds me to ask about lighting. What kind of fixture lights the stairwell? If you ever want to add TV, consider enclosing the stairs with a pony wall pre-wired for TV on living side and for a pair of sconces on the stairs side. Here are some fun and comfy looking chairs. These are a bit more traditional; what's your style? One take on the pony wall idea.
    ...See More

Kitchen layout help, please…photos attached!

Q

Comments (13)
    All lower cabinets should be drawers for sure I am 75 yrs old and those drawers are the best thing ever no getting down on hands and knees to find something at the back ever again. You can even have drawers under the sink which BTW is awesome. I do not like built in MWs for the simple fact they do not last forever and often the size is no longer available. IMO counter depth fridges are always the best choice and I like Bosch for DWs. Induction will require your electrical to be upgraded usually as they need 40 amps .Could you post pics of the space that is usually a huge help along with the floor plan.
    ...See More

Kitchen layout help please

Q

Comments (5)
    can you move the kitchen out of that spot completely? use the liv room walls for kitchen...seating area goes to where kitchen is now and family room beyond is one primary liv zone. youd have room for island or peninsula and a table depending on how this is done. seems like the liv room along w family room are redundant as they are so close to one another . have the one space and clear area for a table ..probably outside the bedroom there ....add a pocket door so the bedroom section gets privacy when you need it and the kitchen will be furthur away which is good. with the kitchen where you have it.....and addition of a table.....not much is left of living room . use the 13 ft and 9 ft liv room walls for kitchen.....always better if you can do an L w available walls....those are good dimensions.
    ...See More

furniture layout help please

Q

Comments (2)
    This might work. I have a concept rendering with a sofa and round ottoman or coffee table, a side chair with side table, a TV at an angle over the fireplace, an oval Dining table, two dining chairs and banquet, two barstools, a round rug and a tall houseplant. The drawing is not to scale, I did not measure the pieces.
    ...See More
  • westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Rhome!

I think you're right about the workspace...but it looked pretty on paper! I like the korbel idea...I'd also like a display shelf...I have a few pewter pieces that I'd like to place there.

I'm also concerned about the counter space to the right of the sink with the cabinets sitting on the counter. I also had originally wanted 15" or 18" cabinets with glass on the stove wall with a stainless steel dowel rod fastened between the wall cabinet and hood on either side to hang utensils from but things just look kind of lopsided to me on that wall??? I really don't want a corner cabinet where the sink and oven wall meets? Any suggestions?

I also don't like the silverware drawer above the trash can pull out to the left of the sink.

Would a built in pantry with glass doors work on the end sink wall??

We are having all new windows put in the house on the 30th...the window above the sink will increase in height to 43" the width will stay the same at 46"

Pros and cons of inset doors vs. full overlay. Can you have soft close doors with inset drawers. For color I'm leaning toward FB Pointing...what do you think?

I also need a place for the dogs food and water bowls?

Thanks...Sandy

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I hadn't noticed all those cabinets sitting on the counter...Sorry, but that's a terrible idea, too. I only noticed the drawing with the corner one down to the counter, which seems OK to me.

Glass front pantry: Instead of some of the cabinets or added to the sink run? The elevation I see with the dbl door cabinet to the counter on the left and the single door cabinet to the counter in the corner looks balanced to me, but it's not the only way to make it look nice, I'm sure, if you'd like changes. I think it is an interesting way to solve the dilemma of not having a corner cab to have those high cabs on the stove wall...Will they be useful? You can see in my photo how I did away with the corner cabinet issue.

I know nothing about inset cabinets, so can't help with the soft-close question. And when you say full overlay, do you mean on framed or frameless cabinets? I'm a fan of frameless because of wider openings and nothing infringing on storage or access.

I'm also not familiar with FB colors. I think Pointing is one of their whites? I remember the name from Amberley's thread. I liked all her choices, so it's likely great. :-)

Can the dog bowls fit under the overhang at the left end of the fridge run? I did not plan well for such things in my kitchen/house...Especially the cat litter box (yuck), and a way to keep the dogs out of the cats' dishes.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You're right... No cabinets to the right of the sink on the counter unless it's just the corner one. Is there anyway to see an option with a small seating area (3 stools) at the end of the sink run like ttodds... and then place the microwave in that base?...But then what happens with the upper cabinets?

I have a Mac so I'm not able to use most of the programs out there. I did buy Punch! Software...but am still in the learning process...it's not as intutiative as I'd hoped :(

I want the stove to be centered on the back wall of the kitchen with a wooden hood with display shelf...drawers on either side...but once again I have that stinkin blind corner to deal with...Do I lose the space and go for symmetry or do a pull out? If I only do the 15" glass cupboards on the range wall will I be missing out on a lot of storage???

I like moving the fridge from it's original spot on the stove wall...to the inside wall. It frees up more counter space by the stove. On the fridge wall I thought that could be used as the landing space for the MW IF I end up not having a peninsula??

I'm pretty much set on a Shaker cabinet with inset panel and drawer...Shaw 30" fireclay sink... The cabinets would be 24" with 15"glass front stacked on top. Do you think this will work with my ceiling height? I would use the top cabinets for display. But am I losing storage space by stacking cabinets?

I'm sorry for all the questions...but I'm haven't been able to figure out how to create these different layouts so I can see what will work and what wont!

Thanks for bearing with me!...Sandy

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Would the peninsula (3ft deep, I'm assuming) replace the 24" base cab or would it have to take part of the cabinet next to the dw? If it could only take the 24" spot, I think you could get away with leaving the uppers as they are. Maybe a little harder to access the to-the-counter cabinet, but doable.

If you want display shelves on either side of your range hood (where the dotted lines are in the drawings?), I would consider making that corner cabinet open shelves too, so the display shelves can flow into it. Otherwise you'll have conflict with that cabinet's door.

The stacked cabinets look nice as drawn, so I'm assuming they'd look ok for your ceiling ht from them. But as far as display, I'm not sure you'll end up with enough glass area to see much. If you just want to see parts of things and the colors, you'll be OK, but if you hope to see whole items, I don't think you will.

BUT...24" cabinets are pretty smallish, it seems to me, and in a kitchen this size, you don't really have storage room to spare? I wonder if you could get the look of a stacked cabinet, but with one cabinet and one door...Similar to how I did mine with the extra rail placed 1 ft from the top. You can see one cabinet in my kitchen like that in the photo above, and I'll post another photo to show how it looks throughout the kitchen.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do like how you were able to get the look of stacked cabinets with a single door. I wonder if a cabinet maker could inset glass in the top portion???...It's not that I have that much to display either...maybe I just need to get the "glass" out of my head!

I had a Amish gentlemen here yesterday to measure the kitchen...and he can do pretty much anything I can think of...I'm waiting to hear his estimate...but from people that have used him...his cabinet prices WITH installation have been equal to or less than Lowe's and HD...

I think I am driving myself crazy with not wanting to have a corner cabinet (top or bottom)...how to make it look nice...but not waste the space...Hope that makes sense???

I LOVE your kitchen and all the different finishes you have used...now I'm thinking maybe I should use a combination of painted and stained cabinets....YIKES!...MORE Decisions!

I have a photo of an island but can't figure how to post it...I'm off to try and figure it out!...Thank!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

The counter space seems pretty limited to me and the space near the fridge is similar to one we had that turned out to be a clutter catcher. I'd look at making taking all the other cabinets off the counters and making that inside wall a tall wall -- bring those down to the counter and leave yourself a landing spot by the fridge if you feel you need it (you could also scoot the fridge over to the left or center and use the counter by the range), but go tall with storage and make that your pantry space, broom closet, fridge -- everything you need talls for. You can still have the micro there, but you could raise it to a more comfortable height. Scooting the fridge over might also help with traffic if you decide to have a peninsula for seating.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

i've thought about having a cab down to the counter top - then remember what would happen if I (when) spill liquid on the counter and it runs over to that area...

you could cut off the angled end of the fridge run, move it down some and put the *pet area on the other side of the fridge. then they wouldn't get in your way while working in the kit.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lascatax...You're right...The area where the fridge will be... could wind up cluttered...It is currently a dumping ground and a total waste of space as a desk/message center.

One of my main goals of this remodel is to get all of the non essential "Stuff" off the counters...my beloved KitchenAid and coffee maker would be the only things on the counter if I have my way!lol

I'm hoping the very clever people on this forum can help me sort of of this out!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I love Lascatx's idea for the fridge wall...Unless that's where the mixer or coffee maker need to sit. Lascatx is another one, Sandy, who has mixed colors and materials in her kitchen, so you'd have support from both of us in doing so! :-)

What is off to the left of the kitchen? Table area? Could the overhang of any peninsula extend there or would it have to stop where you show the cabinets ending now?

In that corner, you could just create a dead area on the upper section...I can try to draw it up for you and play with some ideas.

Did you figure out how to post your photos? The 2nd or 3rd post in Buehl's "Read me if you're new..." thread has info about posting images, in case you haven't found that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buehl's info for new folks, incl image posting

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The fridge wall sounds good!...I had thought about using that counter for the coffee maker but can change if needed...The KitchenAid will go to the right of the stove...I plan on storing all my baking supplies in that area.

The area to the left of the kitchen is open to the dining room... we should have some room to play with...here are a few pics:
    Picture of island I found...not sure if it would work???

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Kitchen

• lascatx
    14 years ago

A coffee maker can still be in a tall wall if you include a garage -- but then it is also at one of the furthest points from the sink.

You have just enough room to want an island and not quite enough to pull one off. With 132" minus 48" on the outside and inside walls you have 84 left. MINIMAL clearance would be 72" of that for 36" on each side of the island (with no allowances for counter overhangs). You have 12" left -- and when you account for overhangs, you are down to about 9 inches.

And yes -- I have 3 cabinet finishes and am a multi-finish enabler. ;-)

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a link to a slide show of a few kitchens I like...Maybe it will help you all get an idea of what I like...Since I can't seem to put my finger on it! lol

Oh!...I also have a post in the decorating forum....There is a picture of our house "1970's Split Face lift"...any help with colors and such would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!...Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Elements

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I LOVE that island, but it must be about 3x3 and you'd have to do away with the fridge run to have it. You could have a larger island if you took out that wall section... ;-) Still would have to move the fridge and microwave.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

A few variations on a few try at getting you your open shelving by the range. I know the hood area is a bit weird, but I built it out of pieces...Software limitations.

But I tried cabinets down to the counter, glass cabs, and a peninsula...All with a variation on Lascatx's tall wall.

These are just stabs...Something to start from, perhaps. I sure don't think they're perfect. ;-)

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had thought of tearing out the wall between the kitchen and living room and making a large island but... dh is not keen on that idea...The wall is load bearing but does have the structural support needed if we were to do a tear out...Dh would be happy to replace the range that's not working and call it a day!

lascatx...Thanks to sweet Rhome I can now visualize the tall wall...I really Love it...I think the coffee pot could work there...Thanks!...

Rhome - When do you sleep?... It helps soooooooo much to be able to see it on paper!...Any chance to see the sink wall?...If I did put cabinets on the range wall so that I really could store All my baking supplies to the left of the range...what would that do the sink wall cabinet (right side)?...would the sink wall cabinets be "balanced" with no cabinets on the right side?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Ask, and receive! ;-) I think the wall looks balanced, even though not symmetrical.

Remember that I'm on the West Coast, so the times look wild, but really weren't for me. :-)

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot about the time...I felt bad you were working on this so late!...Dh has just added his 2 cents and thinks he can live without the peninsula...Yea!...That will force us to use the much neglected dining room table...So now it's just figuring out the cabinet placements.

Wonder if my dining room hutch would look ok moved to the living room side of the wall at the top of the steps...and then maybe some built ins on the dining room/living room wall?...does that make sense?...or am I complicating things more?...I feel like a dog spinning in circles trying to chase my tail!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Dining room built-ins: I wonder if you have the room to have those and clearance around the table. And do you have to decide now?

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No...just me obsessing :)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

What did you think of the window wall?

Do you want me to make any changes anywhere in the kitchen, or try something different?

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sink wall...I like the cabinet coming down to the counter on the left side...do you think I'll have enough counter space??? or go with the first option that has only the end cabinets meet the counter??...I was thinking about a pendant over the sink or maybe just the can lights??...Any chance you could put grids in the window?

May I see the fridge wall straight on please??...I think you may have that wall all sorted out :)

range wall...Depends on the sink wall?

I'm nominating you for Sainthood!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I debated in my own head about those cabinets on the left coming down to the counter...I think you have enough counter space for daily use. The only time it might be nice to have that counter space is if you might do a bigger dinner and someone else is helping prep side dishes, salads, or something...or if you ever want to use it as serving space.

I can change the style of the window and add grids...So please tell me exactly what you want and I'll get as close as the software lets me.

I don't have every kind of light fixture there is, but I can certainly try whatever you want. I only put in recessed cans in those drawings, because they help light the cabinet faces so you can see them better in the renderings.

Here is one drawing of the fridge wall straight on. After saving this view, I changed the little drawers to one door, just in case it flowed better with the top and the other drawers, and you might be able to kind of see that option in the other drawings I posted first. I left the rest of that lower space for the dog dishes. I think this could look better. Maybe if the top drawer on the left stretched over the dog area, and the 2 bottom drawers were a door. Any thoughts?

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Do you want me to add any other cabinet colors? ;-)

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fridge Wall...I like every thing about this wall...except the pet area...maybe I can move their dishes to the end run of the sink wall since we did away with the peninsula...they'll be out of the way there?

Sink wall...No cabinets to the counter to the left of sink...I would miss the extra space when we have guests...I will be having under cabinet lighting...what kind do you recommend?

Sink lighting - Trying to keep with a Traditional look...but I'm open to somethin quirky!

Window...We have 2 casement windows going in with grids 46"W x 43" H

Lights...I like the cans where you have the placed...I have a ugly little square thing in the middle of the ceiling now...that will be dry walled over...it is of no use.

Blind Corners...I'm still stuck on this...I saw a photo that Boxer Pup posted on the Custom Hood thread...There was an open shelving unit in each corner which met up with the cabinets...Maybe cabinets on either side of the hood and right side of the sink with glass inserts on the range wall meeting the open shelving?...I like how you had the door fronts look like stacked cabinets.

I would be glad to compensate you for you time...pleaaaaase let me what I can do???...You have turned out to be my "Kitchen Angel"!

Oh...Color!...My cabinets are a Sagey green now and I really like them...Blue/Seafoam/Gray/Yellow/Natural Cherry

I think that about covers it!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Excellent idea for the pet dishes.

I have nothing to offer that is helpful about undercabinet lighting, as I've never had it.

How many grids on the windows?

Not sure I completely understand your vision about the wall cabinets, but I will try with my translation of it and see if we're close! I don't think I can do my cabinet style with the software, so may have to make them look stacked...just so you know.

So color on the cabinets...Do you want to see all the cabinets in each of those colors, or some kind of mix?

Not sure how fast I'll get all this finished. I'm hosting a baby shower for my niece tomorrow and have been procrastinating on the necessary tasks.... ;-)

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG...NO HURRY!...Wish I was close by I'd give you a hand with the shower prep...I used to do catering.

I don't expect perfection...what ever you're able to do will be perfect!

Grids...6 on each window

Let's be WILD and mix up the colors a bit!

Boy or girl?????

• rhome410
    14 years ago

A very adorable boy born at the very end of Dec. So we get to play with him, too! It's a smallish, fairly informal lunch gathering...Only a total of 9 of us, so the same or less of what I'm used to at each meal. ;-)

I will play with your kitchen as soon as I can. Back to sewing bibs right now!

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bump please!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I LOVE THEM ALL!...You are AMAZING!...I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like best!...I really like the open shelves in the blind corner...That certainly solved that problem!...The fridge wall is perfect...and I LOVE the sink wall...especially the "Hutch"!

I like the idea of mixing up the counter tops too!...I like the look of soapstone...but no one in out area is very keen on it...I haven't even been able to see a sample...guess I'm going to have to make a road trip...and I think the butcher block is perfect!

If you don't mind me asking...do you work as a designer?...If not...you should!...It's like you've been able to sort out my jumble of thoughts and come up with a plan that is not only functional but BEAUTIFUL!

I have another cabinet maker coming tomorrow for an estimate...I can't wait to show him this plan!

Now... how to choose the colors???

I can't thank you enough for all of you help!...(((HUGS)))

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Hey, I like what you've been up to while I've been away!

Rhome and I each went through many different color variations and arrangements to get to where we wound up. Give yourself some time to look at them and put them aside, play with some other arrangements if you aren't sure (I took the line drawing of the elevation and made copies so I could color them with colored pencils to my heart's content. It was pretty easy weed out most of them and focus on a few. When I thought it all clicked, I put it away for a while and came back a day or two later. I found that if I did that a time or two -- on just about any decision, I could weed out what appealing because it was different or happened to match a funky mood that day and what I really loved and felt at home with and wanted to be surrounded with day in and day out.

I think you've come a long way in cleaning up and working out the functional issues and creating a kitchen with some warmth and character. Have fun!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

If you don't mind me asking...do you work as a designer?

Thank you...I work as a homeschooling mom with an obsession with this forum! :-) I have always loved architecture and have drawn houseplans since I was about 9...I finally got my chance at pretending to be an architect when we built our own house that I designed, and when I get to help people here. I am fortunate to have the drafting software to play on, which, does the pretty work I get credit for. :-)

I'm glad you're liking it. I thought the hutch look gave you the down-to-the-counter look you liked in that area, while leaving you the counterspace you need.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

If you ever lose this post again, or need more drawings for your cabinet maker, feel free to email me through 'my page'...the link next to my user name on any post I write.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Forgot to say that I think I like the rendering with the cherry hutch and the more intensely colored fridge wall, but what flooring will you have? I had to darken the flooring (lighter would've worked, too) in the one with the cherry hutch, so it would have some contrast with the floor and not blend/get lost.

Mostly, what you want to do is having something that's strong in the combo, and have the other 2 be different, but probably not as much contrast.

I think I don't like the sage hutch, yellow fridge wall, and lt gray or whitish main cabs as much, because there is so much light and only a little stronger color in the wood and green hutch. Having the larger fridge wall be the stronger color balances the rest being light for me. Does that make ANY sense? I don't feel like I'm explaining it very well.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lascatx...Thanks for the advice!...I do feel I need to walk away for a day or so and then come back...I don't want to rush into anything and then be sorry...Cabinet Guy is coming back Thurs with the latest revisions and pricing.

Do you have a link to your kitchen?...I'd love to see it!

rhome410...How lucky your children are to be home schooled by such an Awesome Mom!...Hope the shower went off without a hitch!...Thanks for the heads up about the e-mail...I was so Freaked Out...screaming "They're Gone...They're Gone...What am I gonna do"...I think DH thought I had lost my mind!...I'm glad I can laugh about it now...but I'm afraid I could have hurt someone this morning!

I also like the last rendering...the cherry "hutch" really warms up the space...when I showed dh...after I was done screaming...he said "I thought you wanted white cabinets"???..I just laughed and said "that was last week"!...What colors did you end up using on the last one?...I agree that the darker flooring works better...I was looking at Brazilian Cherry...but I don't think that will work

Oh...Cabinet guy had the fridge on the left side of the wall instead of the right...I like it on the right...is there any reason one side would be better than the other...I like it being away from the small doorway.....Opinions please!

Also any input on sinks...I leaning toward a single bowl Fireclay...Pros/Cons???

You're explanation makes perfect sense...I guess the thing now is the try different colors and see what I come up with!

Thanks!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

On the contrary, I think Brazilian Cherry with a hutch made of American Cherry would be gorgeous! The same color family, so no clashing, and enough difference in depth of color.

On that last picture, the main cabs are BM Rosemary Sprig and the fridge wall is BM Mediterranean Teal. I can't promise they look exactly as they would in real life, so always, always look at the paint chips and try samples of the color before making a final decision, of course.

Fridge location on that wall. Hmmm. I placed it there because of your first layout without thinking much about it. It could be at either end, and usually I'd favor putting it close to the stove and sink, but I don't think this is too far. It's close to the eating area, which some prefer anyway. I'm going to go against my usual grain here and say that I might leave it where it is, because I like what it does for the look of the kitchen...Putting form over function isn't my usual advice. But, you have 2 hutch-like things going on with the dish storage and with pantry cabs. I don't think I'd like them as well lined up across from each other. The fridge breaks them up and staggers them, balancing the whole kitchen better for me.

Backing up a bit, I could see an advantage to putting the fridge wall back to uppers so that you can have a coffee/toaster/snack area or baking center on the stove side of the fridge. I would leave the microwave in the bottom shelf of the upper right next to the fridge. You have such a wide aisle, that you could deepen the counters there so you wouldn't feel crowded by the deeper cabinet required by the microwave. If you deepened that side, you might want to re-center the range.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rhome140...I think I'm need to get a BM fan deck and some sample pots...paint some boards and see how they work...Since the kitchen is open to the dining/living room...I'll want to update the walls/ceiling/trim...we'll eventually be getting new furniture...but I can slipcover what I have if needed...What colors do you think would work?

Do you have a paint mfg. preference?

I do the like fridge where you have it...away from the small doorway...I like how the wall mimics the hutch on the sink wall and like you said balance the kitchen....now am wondering about the tall wall...I like how it is now...but the extra counter space is nice...If I moved the MW to below in a drawer...I could still have doors that cold be pulled down to hide the coffee maker/phone?...I just envision that area being a catch all??

Can the fridge be recessed at all in an interior wall...to help offset the depth?...maybe split the difference between recessing into the wall and placing the counters a few inches out from the wall?

If I did move the fridge the range wall would need to be centered...how will that affect the cabinet size?...if I go with the custom it shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks!...Sandy

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I am not a paint expert for wall paint...and not sure what you were asking for in regard to color suggestions...the other room? the ceilings and trim? the slipcover? Have you done the Sweeby test to help pinpoint your vision? Or have found a certain color scheme that you'd like to use and flow from room to room?

We used oil-based BM Satin Impervo for our painted cabinets and are very happy with it. I did a lot of research on the painting forum, and since we needed burgundy, and not pastels, it was the best choice. (Most of the highly recommended cabinet paints, especially the acrylic-based ones, only come in light colors and whites) I brushed some of it, but DH sprayed the rest. It was a more fool-proof method, I think...speaking as the fool! ;-) (I think I tried to back brush and that wasn't a good idea!)

If that area next to the fridge will be a catch-all instead of a valuable counter space, keep the full wall look. If it were mine, we'd definitely use it for baking and/or toaster oven, etc. so it'd be too busy to catch stuff. Now under the dish cabinets might be another matter...

Yes, you could recess the fridge in the wall...But I was thinking about the microwave in an upper. (Which could be recessed, too, I suppose...or put in the base cabs as you suggested.) Depending on the microwave you have in mind, they usually need more than the standard upper cab depth of 12"...which means they need a deeper upper which can overhang the counter underneath and be kind of in your face. To compensate for that in our kitchen, we have 27 or 28" counters under our microwave, so we still have workspace out front of it and don't have to stand with our faces on the microwave door. ;-)

If you recentered the range, there could be some juggling of the cabinet sizes to get it to look the way you'd like. With custom cabs, that shouldn't matter at all...Just depends on if it limits what you want to store in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Sweeby Test

• cj47
    14 years ago

I'm not much help as a designer--I've been struggling with my own for the last month. (and Rhome has been tutoring me as well!!) But...I can attest to the power of walking away for a time, if you can. I was so wrapped up in worrying about the design that I couldn't think straight. I had the time to step back a bit, and when I came back and took a fresh look, things seemed to make a lot more sense and I wasn't as tense about it. I've asked for some extra input from the forum, as my first few tries weren't met with a warm welcome :-) but when I came back, I'd incorporated a lot of their suggestions, so now it looks a lot better than it did. Rhome's suggestions are indeed awesome, and you have a terrific design going there.
    Have fun!
    Cj

• westiemom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My SIL is here from Cape Cod for a week so I've been trying not to think too much about the kitchen...2nd CG is coming back today with changes we talked about...Amish guy is coming next Wed...so I'll keep you posted!

rhome410...Thanks again for all you help!...i will do the Sweeby test and see if I can settle on a color pallet.

Cj47...Thanks for the advice!...I am feeling less anxious since "stepping back" a bit...Good luck with your kitchen plans!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

If it helps at all, in addition to the Sweeby test, I just kept imagining walking into my kitchen in the morning and thought about what I wanted to see...How I wanted it to 'greet me.' Also, how I wanted it to feel if I got to sit and have a moment to relax and gaze around, what colors and materials would I like to be in and around in the midst of working, cooking, and baking for my family, and what would make me happy when I saw it all cleaned up and quiet at night. I've told others that at first, I had a darker palette in mind...Stained wood cabs with dark counter and deeply colored backsplash. That changed to natural fir cabinets when we decided on that for our house, but I was still planning the range area to be black, and to have dark counters and the burgundy mixed in as unfitted type pieces. (Lascatx's favorite) Although, that would have been pretty, too, and more dramatic, the thought of light gray kept tempting me, and when I saw a rock backsplash in a house a friend was working on, the vision began to form for a more serene, organic type of space. When I envisioned the 2 different color schemes in the different scenarios I described above, it was the more light and peaceful look that really appealed to me. I have enough drama and action in my life...I really needed more of an oasis than elegance and drama...But the burgundy needed to stay for fun and strength.

Anyway, so many people have had great success using the Sweeby test, but I end up all over the place on things like that, because I like everything! The visualization is what worked best for me.