SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloenkitty_gw

Greige paint color question

chloenkitty
10 years ago

In our new build, I want to do the entire first floor in one color. It's an open floor plan, so I just want the ease and look of it all flowing together. We have a 2 story family room so there are widows everywhere and it's open to the kitchen which will have white cabinets and a pale blue backsplash. The floors are a wide plank hand distressed medium to dark (not too dark) hickory hardwood.

At first I wanted gray walls when I was doing a very dark espresso color wood floor, but since the floors are not as dark as I first wanted, I am steering away from gray walls. I don't, however, want the walls to totally read beige either. I'd like a greige that leans a little more to the beige side. Nothing too light or too dark either. I do love Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. Does anyone have this? Wondering if you think it would be ok for what I'm looking for. I swear sometimes I think I'm a little color blind as I have difficult distinguishing some colors. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate it. I love Ben Moore paints, but my husband can get a 25% discount at Sherwin Williams and I know they have nice paint too. Thank you :)

Comments (72)

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Funny, that pic of Hampshire Taupe is pretty much just what Revere Pewter looks like in my bedroom.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Also look at SW Kestrel White. Very clean, has some depth.

• Related Discussions

Greige experts/fans:Why do my greige paint colors look icky at ni

Q

Comments (4)
    patty cakes-I went through so many samples and spent so much money. When I saw a huge portion of my wall painted with camouflage I thought it looked great! Silver, gold, black, and white frames all looked lovely with the color. It's gray yet green and also a bit "warm". It just looks yucky at night in my dining room so perhaps it's just the type of lighting. Anyhow, my point is that I thought I did a great job of weeding out the one's I din't like. Oh well Palimpsest-you're right about lighting! Camouflage looks pea green in my kitchen which has recessed halogen lighting, and looks more gray/green in the other rooms (well at night it looks muddy in my dining room). Changing out the light in my sons room was what I was thinking I should try so thank you for confirming that!
    ...See More

Beige or greige paint color without green undertones suggestions

Q

Comments (7)
    I like Bittersweet Stem and may need to get a sample of that. The others look too yellow for my liking, I am trying to get rid of the Restrained Gold look. Any thoughts on Balanced Beige, Pavilion Beige or others like that?
    ...See More

Greige is the question.. Need houzz help with paint color..

Q

Comments (13)
    Geige is an incredibly broad term. It is like saying green. Lime Green or Forest Green, Teal or Emerald. Here is a list of a variety of Greige colors by Benjamin Moore Abalone Ashford Greige Ashley Gray Balboa Mist Broxburn Greige Collingwood Edgecomb Gray Gettysburg Gray Mineral Mortar Pale Oak Revere Pewter Shale Go into your local Benjamin Moore dealer and ask for paper samples of all of these colors. Pick a few dozen more that are in the same families. Take your samples outside on a sunny day, lay your flooring, countertop and cabinet samples on a white sheet and lay the paper samples of each of the above colors next to the samples. Note what you like and don't like. If you can find the right color you can always pick something a bit lighter or darker, but getting the rigjht mix of brown and gray and the right undertone is something that you will need to do with your samples. If you can come close and say, I like this a lot, but it seems just a bit too blue we will be able to offer a lot more assistance.
    ...See More

Greige paint color

Q

Comments (4)
    Any preference in terms of paint brand? Which colours have you sampled? What exposures do you have? What type of lighting? You don't want beige but usually a greige is a colour that looks either gray or beige, depending on the light. I have Benjamin Moore Silver Satin on one floor and it looks grey in one room and beige in another. Perhaps greige isn't the best colour for your house. What type of flooring and hard finishes do you have? Have you considered getting an on-site colour consultation? That can save a lot of time and money.
    ...See More
  • chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the colors posted here in pics look gray on my monitor here at work, but beige on my ipad at home! Has anyone ever seen the SW ceiling bright white (I believe that's the name) in person? It has the slightest blue tint to it and I actually like that for a ceiling. Wondering if anyone has it or has seen it.
    Tibb, that Hampshire Taupe looks great in the pics. I guess I will be spending a mint on little sample cans and painting poster board lol. Does BM ever have sales like the SW sale?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Chloe, I don't know about BM sales. Hard to believe they don't, since they compete with SW.

I bought a sample size of the SW Languid Blue and painted some white cardboard yesterday, taped it to walls. However, I'm not home, and of course I want to see it on THE wall it would be going on, which is why I bought the two cans of paint untainted.

RE: your paint color. You might want to even think "out of the box" and not get stuck on one idea for your wall color. Usually when that happens, you uncover a great color. On the other hand, there's a reason why some colors are so popular.

Picking paints is maddening and costly! All those samples.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Chloe, rather than color, per se, would you prefer cool or warm? That is a good place to start, I think.

Also, have you selected your trim color? If you've already said so, forgive me.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 10:54

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

How about BM Muslin?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Room pic of BM Muslin

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I called the closest store that carries BM paint and he said they don't have sales :(

I want the trim to be white. I know there are a million shades of white lol, but a nice crisp white.

I love white! White flowers, white furniture (which I won't have though lol) crystals. I just think it's so crisp and clean. This is why I want white trim, white kitchen cabinets and a taupe colored wall. I like to keep the big stuff neutral and then I can change accessories up with different colors if I wish. I want the main living floor to be light and airy yet cozy and inviting. The 2 story family room with all windows might make that difficult. I'm normally a cool toned person Tibb, but for the walls, I just don't know yet, I just know I want a nice beige/gray/taupe color that will make the white trim pop. When I stopped at SW this morning a few colors they had that were nice were Realist Beige (seemed to have a touch of pink tho) Accessible Beige (seemed to be the one I liked at SW the most) Agreeable Gray was nice too, but leaned more towards gray than beige.
    I love beautiful paint colors, but you're right Tibb, you can go crazy!
    I have at least settled on one color, Garden Sage, it's for my hubby's manland. I want to make that more masculine for him so th Garden Sage will look nice with a stone fireplace and bar etc.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Check out this designer's blog called Greige. It may provide some ideas on paint colors & concepts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greige Blog

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Chloenkitty, check out the wall colors in the "Did I screw up? Area/foyer rug help" thread by city2burbs.

Striking. Might give you some more leeway.

• nini804
    10 years ago

I have 2 neutrals in my house. One is grey, SW Lattice. I adore it...it is a very neutral grey, but definitely a cool tone. I absolutely love it. Then I chose a warmer, beigey color for the formal rooms...SW Grecian Ivory. I realized that I really prefer the cooler tones. Check both of these colors out...one might work for you, and 40% off!

• artemiss
    10 years ago

I also looked for for a greige with no pink, green or blue undertones. I have to say I wanted it a little more on the grey side than the beige, and it needed to be a mid-tone (not too pastel). I finally chose Martha Stewart Potter's Clay and have been very pleased with the neutral-ness of this paint color and how it looks with the white trim. Maybe it would work for you.

• Mick Mick
    10 years ago

I did Edgecomb Gray (one swatch higher than Revere Pewter) in my open floor plan. I am very pleased wih it. Revere pewter is too dark for my spaces.

Is it possible that you can do swatches on the walls?

• msrose
    10 years ago

chloe - I'm attaching a link to my pinterest page. I've saved lots of greige paint color pictures. Two that haven't been mentioned yet are BM Elmira White and Tapestry Beige.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest paint color pictures

This post was edited by msrose on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 9:53

• scanmike
    10 years ago

I am actually looking for the same color as you. I want a beige with grey in. I don't want any green undertones though. In my house Revere Pewter reads grey and in the kitchen almost a blueish cast to it. I know weird. When it looks good, it looks great. I recommended it to two friends and it looks great in their rooms. In my daughter's house (open floor plan) it reads warm grey in some rooms, and almost off white in their bright hall. It's not working for me. Colors I have tried and might work for you are Bleeker Beige (I used this in my son's room awhile back), BM Grant Beige (supposed to have a green undertone, which I don't want since beige in my home takes on too much green), BM Manchester tan, SW Accessible Beige (this has been recommended by quite a few decorators), BM Smokey Taupe (does scare me when I see pink undertones but have seen this in person and it's a beautiful calming color in their home..I need to sample this again), BM Pale Oak (might be too light), BM Tapestry Beige (might try also). Edgecomb is not on the same strip as Revere Pewter, but it's a light greige with a purplish undertone from what I read. I recently tried another BM Temporal Spirit, which was similar to Manchester Tan but dirtier if you know what I mean. It looks like a good one for me. I am deciding between staying neutral or going blue/grey/green.

• Mick Mick
    10 years ago

Scanmike are you sure about Edgecomb Gray not being on the same strip as Revere Pewter? My strip has it along with every google image search strip.

In addition, I think that when choosing paint colors the colors depend on your space and the amount of light in that room. Edgecomb gray in my eastern facing room is not purplish and never reads purple.

That is why it is good to get guidance from the board on room colors, but looking at swatches in different lights is your best bet. It doesn't show purple in my room, but may read purple in yours.

Good luck!

• chloenkitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm really liking accessible beige. I think I'll pick 5 colors, paint them on poster board and see what I like.

• Amy
    9 years ago

I just sent you an e-mail but I have been having the exact same issue. I bought samples of several of these colors but find most of them a little too gray or green. I'm looking for a Greige the goes a bit more beige without green, yellow, pink, blue. I'm thinking there is no such thing. lol. What did you end up using and do you like it? Thank you!

• Tracy Guhr
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I was in the same situation. Open concept home, vaulted ceilings, a loft overlooking the living room and LOTS of angles.

I needed a color that wasn't too light, too dark, too gray or too beige. I wanted to paint the ceilings and walls the same color to calm things down a bit and finally decided on Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige.

During my color sampling process I learned a great trick. I also felt I needed to see the sample color on the actual wall to see how the color would look with a floor to ceiling stone fireplace, wood floors and berber carpet in the loft. Surrounding the sample color with a nice clean white made all the difference in the world.

No matter how neutral the current wall color is, there will be undertones that affect how your eye sees the color. I actually took my white paint and surrounded each color sample on the wall... My husband thought I was crazy but it worked!

• User
    9 years ago

Lowes Valspar "Oatmeal" maybe be a little too beige but it may be worth a look. The images I've seen online all look slightly different to me so if you're going to be there sometime, take a look.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Chloen, I just went through the same process looking tone of paint color as you. I chose accessible beige by SW. I was leaning between that and wordly gray did you have a specific undertone in mind? I feel I'm nearly an expert now. I bought ten samples of greige colors from SW.

Here are some of the basic greige colors. I do notice they are slightly off in coloring. Accessable beige doesn't look quite as gold tan as shown here. Here is a warm beige gray. Wordly, and agreeable gray (in certain lighting) can look a bit pinker. There is a very minor hint of green undertone in accessible gray. I think that's why I like it. It's not hardly noticeable but provides the warmth to the gray.

Useful gray definitely has more green tones in it. You just can't see it in the strip attached.

We are using one step darker paint in our bedroom. That will be amazing gray.

Hope I've helped a bit. Also, 90% of our windows are south facing. That too makes a big difference in what undertones you see. My north facing exterior made most of the greige colors look pink or straight up cold gray.

• User
    9 years ago

The OP last posted in this thread in April of 2014.

• hbussema
    9 years ago

We are looking for a greige tending more beige for almost our entire living space. It has to be BM paint. I did a sample board of Edgecomb gray. Too light for me. Next I plan to try Temporal Spirit.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Look at BM Wish -- it appears to be a little darker than Edgecomb Gray - might not be enough for you. I have it in my MBR and love it.

• hbussema
    9 years ago

BM Wish? Cannot find that.....

• lascatx
    9 years ago

It is AF-680, one of the Affinity series. Some of the photos I found look lighter, but this one shows the wall color closest to the way I see it in my room. It is more greyed beige than grey.

New French Country · More Info

• amykath
    9 years ago

Our new build is being painted a more beige than gray as we speak. It's Accessible Beige by SW. I will post pics very soon!!! I'm also using a deep pewter green. Fingers crossed!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Update: I went and saw the greige color "accessible beige" by SW on my walls. It was only a sprayed first coat so not finished. However, I am so happy I chose this shade. It still reads beige with gray in it. I was worried it may be to light once on the walls, or too beige, but it is the perfect shade. I am so relieved. Perhaps I can get a good shot of it today.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a photo with natural light and one coat lightly sprayed of accessible beige. Above it looks lighter as the room was brighter. Yes, I know I went quite dark with my walls. There is a wall of windows in both rooms.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

That looks like two completely different colors. The one above looks much darker and greener to me -- something between a deep moss and wet concrete than beige (no wonder I don't have a job naming paint colors - ;) ). Is my monitor that far off? You have the light to carry off either -- just wondering which it is. Look forward to seeing the progress. Won't be long now.

• amykath
    9 years ago

The top pic is darker than in reality. The bottom pic is of pewter green and the far wall is the same accessable beige that's in the top photo

• amykath
    9 years ago

Oops I had that reversed. The top is the pewter green and the second is accessible beige closer up and it looks lighter irl.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I saw the pewter green in the other thread and figured out that was what I was seeing. I like the color and think it is going to look great.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Thanks las!

• artydecor
    9 years ago

When I wanted a gray that wouldn't read blue (cold), yellow, pinkish, or green, my Ben Moore guy recommended any of the colors on the strip that has Silver Satin, Balboa Mist, and Collingwood. Sorry I don't have the numbers. They aren't exactly greige, but warm, brown toned grays that may give the effect you want.

• User
    9 years ago

We have Accessible Beige in our office bldg and it hasnt a hint of gray. Obviously this depends upon your lighting, both artificial and natural, as well as the height of your room and the texture of the walls, but the color could not be described as "greige." We love it but it is very beige!

• fuzzypawsnewpad
    9 years ago

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I have the same issue coming up with the right shade of greige. I've taped some samples to the walls of different rooms and as pp mentioned, it looks different in different rooms depending on lighting. May I should pick more than 1 shade of greige for the house

• Tracy Guhr
    9 years ago
    I found the same thing to be true. I used Accessible Beige in my living room and loft. While it is a nice light neutral, it read too dark for the stairwell and hall outside my bedrooms because of the light, so I went with Canvas Tan in that area. I also found that northern light is cooler which brings out the gray undertones in Accessible Beige, while warmer southern light brings out the beige undertones. Since my living room and loft get light from both, it worked beautifully.
  • pocopson
    9 years ago

Just a general comment about choosing a "greige" color -- you've really got to consider the room lighting as well. I chose BM's "Glacial Till", which I had lightened by 25% for a kitchen/family room/gathering room renovation. It was perfect with my granite (Typhoon Bordeaux) and cabinets (BM "Albescent." But the recessed lighting in the rooms casts a yellowish hue over the rooms, masking the true color. This is what the color SHOULD look like http://www.houzz.com/projects/553165/open-concept-kitchen-and-living-in-west-chester-pa The yellowish cast is not obvious from these photos because of the photographer's lighting.

• Rachel
    8 years ago

I've experienced all the same issues with finding the perfect gray/beige. Anyone from this thread found a perfect color? (I need hope that it in fact exists).

• pocopson
    8 years ago

In my case, it wasn't the paint color that was problematic, it was the lighting color. So to fix the problem, I replaced the recessed LED bulbs with others that had a higher K value (that is, more blue; less yellow). It took some trial and error to find bulbs with just the right combination of color temperature (Kelvin rating), lumens and CRI (color rendering index), but now my "greige" looks as it was intended to look.

By the way, the lighting examples in a paint store will be of little value for determining how your paint color will show up in your home.

• Kerstin Alston
    7 years ago

I need help! I have 5 gallons of Accessible Beige that is way to gray. What can I do to make it more on the beige side without darkening it too much. The area I sampled it in looked nice, but it looks terrible with my furniture and rugs in most other areas.

• amykath
    7 years ago

Kerstin, I would ask the ppl at SW. I would think adding yellow would help.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Also check a swatch of your actual paint on a white card against the SW swatches and make sure it's a match or near match (there will be slight variation between the way they print the swatch cards and actual paint and your card vs theirs, etc., but it shouldn't look like a different color). If it isn't right, have SW correct it.

How much has been painted? The process changes the look of things. It can look great, awful and great again as the old color influences and gets covered up. Second coats can make a big difference too.

What kind of lighting do you have in the room? That can make a big difference. I changed light bulbs in a couple of rooms to help get rid of a purple cast.

I'm surprised you are seeing too much gray. Accesible Beige is more beige than my FR walls (Agreeable Gray at 150%) and they read a softened beige -- but I have a lot or warm tones in the room (dark wood floors like you do, but mine are warm and hickory can have a lot of gray).

You might start a new thread and include a photo(s). More people will look at a new thread than a years old one and photos will help.

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I have Accessible Beige at 150% in my Living Room and Foyer. I love it! It looks more beige in those rooms, however when I tried it in my kitchen it pulls grey.

• emb1218
    7 years ago

I would love to see a photo of Accessible Beige at 150% and Agreeable Gray at 150%. I feel like I want something in between these two colors but can't find it. Open floor plan with tons of light.

• vjwilkinson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Our local SW store has Accessible Beige on a couple of walls. One looks gray but the other looks pinkish beige.

We tried a sample of Agreeable Gray in our house, but it comes off as just cool gray. I see no blue or green undertones--just a true gray. My reaction: "meh." I know lots of people love neutral-to-cool gray, but it leaves me cold. One plus for someone considering the color: we thought it might be too light with our white trim, but that isn't an issue.

We will be putting our house on the market in a year or so, and we've been told by a real estate agent that we need to go with a more neutral/greige paint color. (Our walls are now yellowish beige--an old Behr color called Navajo White. I love yellows and yellowish whites, but they aren't in style.) It's so hard to find something that isn't too cool toned but doesn't scream "builder's taupe." And we really want to avoid beige that reads pink.

• Jen
    5 years ago

I have Accessible Beige in my living room I love it in bright light but it goes super blah in shade. Any ideas for similar color that will stay lighten up a dark hallway?

• HU-176623926
    5 years ago

I am similar to you in that I have an open concept home with white cabinets walnut floor. My colour is BM Pale Oak. It reads grey at times an beige at others. My backsplash colour is Chelsea Grey which is a dark greige.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!