SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coastal_modern_love

a reflection i don't want to see. paint help!

I decided I wanted to do something a little different. After looking at many beautiful pics of blue painted ceilings, I couldn't resist. We painted the ceilings a beautiful light turquoise color (similar to c2 "mykonos" but lighter) and painted the walls white. Now this white is a custom white that I had mixed to match my white cabinets (Kraftmaid dove white) in a matte finish. My other option was BM "super white" but have a lot of woodwork in the open living/kitchen/dining area and thought it a good idea to keep the same white as cabinets and go for custom mix.

Now here's the problem...The rooms now look blue (or green depending on opinion) to half way down the walls! The pale blue is reflecting off the ceiling and onto the walls. I have not seen this happen anywhere on any of the pics I linked below, nor have I seen this happen anywhere in person on a painted ceiling wall. Is this just my bad luck? Is it expected? There is plenty of natural light in the rooms. Would this happen If I just went with the BM "super white"? I was there when they started to paint the ceiling and at the time, the wall was just primed in the pre-mix white (BM) flat and I did not see any reflection. I had to leave when they were about 1/4 done with the first ceiling so did not see the end result compared to primer white wall.

If you could take a peek at the link I posted to see what direction I'm going with this and possibly give me some idea of what to do now. I want white walls. HELP!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue painted ceilings

Comments (13)