SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tradewind_64

Opening up stairs in split entry

tradewind_64
16 years ago

I own a 1971 split entry (bi-level, split foyer). Everyone's favorite, right? *Tongue planted FIRMLY in cheek* It's a bit bigger than many foyers of this house style in that it has a closet; you can actually stand in the foyer, put your coat away and take off your shoes without getting hit by the opening front door. But just barely.

Anyway, I am thinking of opening up the stairs so that you can see through to the basement level. It's a walkout, so this would add much-needed light and openness to the space, from both the entry AND the basement. The only thing I am concerned about is noise.

Does anyone have open stairs between their upper and lower levels? If so, how is the noise level...if someone is watching TV below, can people in the upstairs room above it talk comfortably?

I wish I had some pictures of the space right now, but it's all swaddled in plastic from the new sheetrocking and ceiling scraping I have had done. But I bet many of you know what a split entry foyer is like, so it hopefully it will be easy to imagine an open stairway (half flight of stairs up and half flight down.

Any anecdotes/advice/thoughts very appreciated by me :-)

Joanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Not my house but same architectural style

Comments (6)