SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Opening up kitchen with staircase -- design help needed

mxk3 z5b_MI
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

With all the posts I’ve had recently, you all may be thinking I hate my house LOL! Quite the opposite - I love my house, I’m just trying to make improvements to make it better. One thing that drives me absolutely bonkers is the stairwell location and the big honkin’ closet on the other side of it. It’s my understanding that previous owners “opened up” the house, the staircase was previously enclosed, so I guess it makes sense it’s located where it is, although I don’t know what the house and rooms looked like when it was originally built (mid-‘80s).

I don’t think I can afford to relocate the staircase, so I’m stuck with the location. But, one thing I think would make a huge huge HUGE difference in the visual flow of things is to remove the 3' x 3' coat closet. If I did that, it would open up the view from the kitchen to the rest of the house, when I walk down the bedroom hallway towards the kitchen I wouldn’t feel like I’m in a coffin, and when entering through the front door there would be a nice view through the back of the house out onto the property rather than entering to face a wall, and if one of us need a wheelchair or walker when we get old, we won’t have to navigate two 90-degree turns around the closet just to use the bathroom. Plus, air flow would be better, and more light would come into the foyer area from the back of the house patio door and bay window (not a lot more, but better than now). I honestly can’t think of a reason not to do it. Along with this would be getting rid of the pony walls and having some sort of good-looking stair rails built. I’ll have to have a little electrical work done, the dine-in area pony wall has one electrical outlet in it but just the one, not anticipating too much of a mess to clean up that up.

But -- it’s not a no-brainer, which is why I’m making this post, maybe you guys can see something I can’t or have ideas how to deal with this. As far as I can figure out, if I take out the closet completely, I’ll only gain about 18” of floor space, since I need the bulkhead for stair headroom (the bulkhead extends 18” into the closet). 18” more floor is much better than it is currently, but I’d really only have the usable space on one side of the staircase, since the wall for the master bath juts out, as you can see on the rough sketch I made:

The walk-in pantry needs to stay, but I thought maybe if I could angle the corner of the pantry rather than a square box, and move the door of the pantry to the angled wall, that would give me more walk-around space from the dine-in area and maybe just look better, since right now when you walk into the house from the front, there’s a door and wall right in your face (great view, eh?).

Another thought would be to reconfigure the staircase somehow, but reality being what it is I probably can’t afford all that’s associated with that -- but maybe I’m wrong, is reconfiguring a staircase as expensive as moving it?

pics in next post

Comments (17)