SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diyspa

New Spa Build, Charlotte NC

diyspa
14 years ago

After 4 months of planning we picked a builder and kicked off the project. We used the forum a lot to select components and products. Thanks to all who contribute.

I'm acting as the Owner/Builder but found a contractor who will work with us to do most of the project. I've acted as the GC on several other home improvement projects before but have a healthy respect for the complexity of the components of a pool.

We are doing a spa only which I was surprised to learn is fairly unusual and costs nearly the same as a pool. In fact we had builders say they would add a pool for 6K. That meant their spa price was the same as a pool which pretty much elimiated them from the running.

I started by sketching what I wanted and collected pictures of pools that my wife and I like. We then met with a few pool builders and got hugely different proposals. I restarted and took a month to get a set of pool plans completed by an on-line vendor in Florida. I then went back to the pool builders to requote and was surprised that two vendors never returned calls or responded to the requote.

We ended up picking a builder who is doing an extensive remodel of my next door neighbors pool including decking, tile, plaster, and coping. We liked the quality of his work and he was happy to work with us for all or part of the job.

Shell

Travertine Coping Perimter, double bullnose 33' perimeter

Hydrazzo French Gray Polished Granite finish

Hardscape

Gas Fire Pit with Stacked Stone facing and 12" Travertine Coping bullnose one side to match pool coping

Patio, pavers and stacked stone retaining wall, 290sq ft

2 Ton Natural Stone Water Feature on Spa

Equipment List

Ozone sanitizer DELzone Eclipse 1, EC-1-16

Salt Chlorinator with Jandy Purelink control box with breaker panel kit Jandy purelink JPPPURELINKSYS-700

Nature 2 fixture

Jandy LED Spa Light

Jandy 2hp ePump (JEP2.0)

Jandy CS250 Cartridge Filter

400,000 Jandy LXI400N natural gas heater

Jandy PDA Pd8 control

Jandy 24V Valve actuator 2ea

JANDY NEVERLUBE 3-WAY JDY-4719 1ea

JANDY NEVERLUBE 3-WAY JDY-4717 3ea

JANDY NEVERLUBE 2-WAY JDY-4716 3ea

JANDY CHECK VALVE JDY-3405 3ea

JETS (8) WATERWAY (Final TBD)

300W multi-tap Intermatic 300W PX300S (stainless)

Air Supply Silencer Outdoor Spa Blower 2HP 240v 4.5 AMPS -

SKIMMER HAYWARD SP-1071-2S

Pentair, float type water level T40-FG (Grey)

Spa Drains , AQUASTAR 32CDFL105 (Dark Grey)

I have my house floorplans in a 3D Program called "Punch" and I did a quick sketch of what the pool and patio would look like. It isn't the best software for this task but it help visualize a little bit.

Before we had the final design done I did a quick layout with a garden hose and some rope. That helped the designers a lot.

Here is the wide angle picture of the site in the "Before" mode

Here is the layout and details of the design. The plumbing schematic isn't up to date. I changed the equipment to have a Jandy Purelink instead of the Delozone triopure.

We should break ground in about two weeks.

Comments (13)