SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recommendations for Face Moisturizer

I posted this on another forum, too, but thought I would also post here. The more recommendations I get, the better.

Since the late 1970s I used Elizabeth Arden Millenium skin care products for my face. I have just found out that Elizabeth Arden no longer manufactures the Millenium skin care line.

So, I am asking for recommendations for a good moisturizer. I used to have combination skin on my face, but since I turned 70 two years ago, I have noticed that my face now seems to be dry. Please recommend products in any price range - I am not an elitist, just want and need a good moisturizer for my face.

Comments (28)

• blfenton
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like the moisturizer products by Clinique. I am 60 and my face is a little drier than it used to be. I like Clinique because it's fragrance free, it goes on quite smoothly, is easy to put foundation or sun screen on top of, has a non-greasy feel, doesn't sweat off in the heat and seems to do the job.

These things are so personal and it is so hard to find a good one. Good luck in the hunt.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Lotions and creams ... subjects dear to my heart.

If money is not an issue try the Nia24 products. I love and swear by Nia24 Intensive Recovery Complex. I find the best prices on eBay.

Alba Aloe & Green Tea Oil-free moisturizer is a long-lasting moisturizer that still feels like it's working the next morning when you put it on before going to bed. You can buy this at most drug stores.

If you want a soothing, anti-itch (w/o steroids) lotion, I like Sarna Original Lotion. It has menthol in it for a very refreshing smell and feel. I love this stuff. Again, can be found at most drug stores.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Nia24 on Amazon

• Related Discussions

Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer for mature skin?

Q

Comments (9)
    I love DHC too and have been a loyal customer to their olive oil skin care products-I recommend any of their skin care products. I have been using a skin care product that feels similar to it, I use a Neck Cream and Night Cream-part of the Be Fine Food Skin Care collection. The Neck Cream has mushrooms, iris flower and caffeine, all of which help firm, tighten and smooth the skin. I learned that on different parts of your body, the skin has different skin cells and these foods respond well with the skin on the neck as is is absorbed quickly. The Iris flower derived estrogens for tightening while the Caffeine evens out and smoothes the skin, while natural vitamins support collagen production. the night cream has cocoa, millet and rice bran, which help improve the skin's elasticity and support collagen growth. The cocoa's caffeine increases circulation. I bought these at CVS I love these new products and they make facial masks that are equally divine. I hope this helps you on your quest for a good cream.
    ...See More

Recommendations for Face Moisturizer

Q

Comments (29)
    Years ago I reacted to almost every commercial skin cream so began to use vegetable/nut oils for all my skin care. In order of preference I'd rate them like this: Argan oil - extremely beneficial and within a few minutes it absorbs and doesn't feel oily Coconut oil - love how my skin feels and smells and it's great for removing makeup Tamanu oil - it's a fantastic skin oil but rated lower only because of it's intense nut-like scent. I mix a drop of it with coconut oil Apricot kernel oil - very good Peach kernel oil - very good Olive oil - works well but I find it has an oilier feel and I have to wipe it off with a warm damp washcloth I use only organic, cold-pressed, virgin oils and add pure essential oils known to be good for skin care, such as Rose Absolute, Lavender, Frankincense, Geranium, and others. For damaged or aging skin an excellent essential oil is Wild Carrot Seed but I prefer Rose Absolute as it has a more pleasant scent. Please don't use fragrance oils and expect results. They are toxic substances. I use these oils twice a day after my shower and notice the difference in how my skin looks if I miss even once. My skin is very sensitive but I clean it by washing with soap (not detergents) and moisturizing with oils. The only thing these products don't have are the fancy containers and high prices of most skin care products!
    ...See More

Looking for a moisture meter recommendation

Q

Comments (0)
    Am Looking for a moisture meter recommendation. Solid that can poke deeply into ground & won't break yet not too expensive. Looking to see how good & deep my irrigation is getting down below ground.
    ...See More

Moisturizing liquid hand soap recommendations

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm sensitive to many scents and try very hard to use only products that are cruelty-free. I've recently been using the Lemon scented J. R. Watkins foaming hand soap in the kitchen and bath, and I'm very happy with it. My hands are in pretty good shape lately. They claim their products are 95% naturally derived, (from their website) "free from Parabens, Petrolatum, Chemical Sunscreens, Glycols, Phthalates, Ethanoloamines, Synthetic polymers, Formaldehyde Donors, Synthetic Dyes, Silicones, Talc, and Mineral Oil". JR Watkins foaming lemon soap
    ...See More
  • chisue
    11 years ago

My beautiful dermatologist recommended CeraVe. It's mostly glycerin. All most 'moisturizers' do is keep moisture from LEAVING your skin. This comes in both cream and lotion from any drug store (or Costco).

I use Aquaphor on my poor old hands at night. (That tip came from right here on the KT!.) It's basically petroleum jelly, but I've tried the 'compare this to Aquaphor' brands and thrown them out.

I think I wasted tons of money on Orlane products when I was probably too young to need *anything*.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

Mary Kay night creme works for me with my super dry skin.

• Chi
    11 years ago

I really like Origins products. If you have a store near you, they will give you a mini facial to try the products out on clean skin.

Plus, while the ingredients aren't perfect, they are a lot better than all the chemicals in most beauty products.

• juellie1962
    11 years ago

california baby lavender lotion! it's for babies and adults with sensitive skin. Someone told me to use it for rosecea (sp?) and after 4 days I see a big difference. It smells good too!

• petra_gw
    11 years ago

I use Andalou Naturals. Like Chi, I try to avoid using chemicals on my skin and Andalou uses all natural, non-animal tested, fair trade ingredients. They work quite well too, I love their night repair cream and their facial serums. And their age-defying hair products are also really effective.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    11 years ago

I do need a moisturizer too, but I tend to break out from them with zits. So what is a nice, mild moisturizer?

• kris_zone6
    11 years ago

I just use Jergens Age Defying Multi-Vitamin Moisturizer and my dermatologist says my face is in wonderful shape. Cheap and readily available.

• joann23456
    11 years ago

I love the feel of Olay Regenerist Serum, though I only use it at night, because it doesn't have a sunscreen.

In the day, I use the generic equivalent of Olay Complete All-Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen. And I wash with Noxema.

Used to use things that were many times more expensive, but didn't see a big difference. I am fortunate enough to start with an excellent complexion, though (through no work of my own other than protecting it from the sun).

• terilyn
    11 years ago

I love Le Mer, serum, eye balm and moisturizer. I have tried them all, I am a product junkie, always return to this.

• User
    11 years ago

I have used all sorts of moisturizers, from super pricey to super cheap... and found that what works best for me is Ponds ...My skin is soft as can be when I use it.. Love the stuff.

Carolyn

• Georgysmom
    11 years ago

I just slather with lots of Johnson and Johnson baby oil after which I use Aveeno face cream.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Creams and lotions are a favorite subject of mine, too. But Jodi's post makes me realize how people's skin can respond differently to the same product. I liked Alba's Aloe & Green Tea oil-free moisturizer, and even bought it for my daughter. But it disappears completely on my face, leaving it dry, and needing to be reapplied throughout the day.

My favorite is Jason's "C Effects" Ester-C natural creme. One thing I love about it is that it's not shiny. And the moisturizing lasts a long time.

I'm turning 70 this month, and in the past year I've noticed a sudden (and alarming!) appearance of wrinkles. I've started using the Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle creams, one for day and one for night. I think they're helping. I usually apply the Jason creme on top.

• two25acres
    11 years ago

I agree, really depends on the skin type as to which products will work best. I am native american/hispanic and up till my upper 20's my skin was very, very oily. A pain back then but at 51 I am thankful for it. Wrinkles are not an issue but dry skin is now. I have found Estee Lauders moisturizers to work best for me. The serums and advanced night repairs feel heavinly. As soon as the weather breaks I'm in the sun most of the day. Between the gardens and the pool I get quite dark and dry from the chlorine. I would suggest going to a department store and take advantage of their free consultations, you generally walk away with many sample products. Try them and see what works. If you make a purchase and it doesn't work, they will generally let you return them. I'm due to change foundations, lighter coverage but darker tones and increased strength to the nightime routine.

• goldy
    11 years ago

Oil of olay

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Pure, cold pressed coconut oil, applied right after showering or washing.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

I like the SebaMed moisturizer, which is pH balanced, and it doesn't cause me to have clogged pores or the "zits" sheilajoyce mentioned.

• Jodi_SoCal
    11 years ago

Interesting point Alisande. Perhaps it's an age/genetics thing. I'm ten years younger than you (I'll be 60 in July) and my skin is still pretty oily (and breakout prone), always has been, probably always will be. I use moisturizers primarily to reduce the 'crepe' look on my arms and chest and to smooth the few lines I have on my face.

The Nia24 I use to help rebuild cells and it works very well.

I use a wonderful herbal moisture cream I bought in Sitka, Alaska (and have reordered a few times) under makeup because it's light and smells good.

I use just about anything on my arms and legs just to make them smoother and less scratchy feeling.

I have a weakness for creams and lotions and once did a quick inventory and counted 47 bottles and jars. And don't even get me started on shampoos and conditioners. :-)

Jodi-

• chisue
    11 years ago

Do we have anyone on KT with medical knowledge?

I doubt that any cosmetic product reaches beyond the top few layers of human skin. (This is why we HAVE skin -- to protect our bodies.) Skin cells are constantly replenishing themselves, so the outer layers are constantly discarded. Seems to me anything you apply is 'gone with the skin' (cells). All we can do is seal off the cells to hold moisture IN until those cells slough off. That's why we have to keep applying it.

I'd love to hear there is some cosmetic that 'repairs' skin cells. I just don't believe it!

• alisande
    11 years ago

I'm no expert, but Retinol apparently has an effect. Dermatologists prescribe it, and it is an ingredient (in a lower strength) in some skin creams, especially the anti-aging ones.

Vogue article about Retinol

• chisue
    11 years ago

Thanks for the Vogue link. I see one medical review of a product, published in 2010, saying of Olay's X-Something with retinol had some real effect on wrinkles.

I suspect the amount of retinol in most cosmetics is miniscule -- just enough for them to claim that it's 'in there'. Cosmetic company lawyers don't want prescription strength retinol in an OTC product. I'd hesitate to use a meaningful amount of retinol without a longer history of side effects.

I *think* retinol acts by destroying skin cells, causing the skin to produce replacement cells at a faster rate -- resulting in 'fresher' cells on the surface. Sort of a chemical 'peel' that goes farther below the surface.

I'll probably stick to painting my face with lead-based foundation! LOL

• MiMi
    11 years ago

The L'Oreal line of moisturizers you can get at Walmart are good. I used to only use Clinique but switched to L'Oreal several years ago. I use a different one at night, a heavy more moisturizing one then in the morning I use a lighter one under my makeup.

• eccentric
    11 years ago

The basic problem is that everyone's skin is different. I have very sensitive, thin, naturally dry skin - with rosacea. And I suffer from ragweed and cannot use most botanicals -and forget any form of acid/retinol/C. Essential oils are a nightmare - actually, anything "natural' is a nightmare for my skin. I have been having difficulties of late in that nearly every product I use(d) has been discontinued or reformulated with botanicals or actives - the ingredients of the moment. Then there is sunscreen - again mine has been d/c. I need a moisturizing sunscreen that will not cause a rash and it can't be combined with a moisturizer or else a major rash will result. The allergist told me that I am also very sensitive to products formulated for sensitive skin. So it is hard. I buy everything from 2 ladies who work at Holt's in Toronto - the only place where Cdns. can buy many of the products so readily available in the U.S. They won't lie to me, will let me know if something has been reformulated (regardless of the line I will only buy from them) and I always sample first. If the product works, I will buy it. My skin is very pale but has a yellow undertone. I have a ph of 3.5 so there is a lot of turning of shades on me. I have one lipstick - now d/c - and we have been looking for a Plan B for the 7 years I have been wearing it. So I think you need to determine what your skin can handle - any allergies etc. and then start trying products. My night cream for the day just added some citrus to make it more radiant - well, now I can't use it because it crawls right up under my eyes - heck, I can put a rich cleanser on my chin and it will more up to my eyes. I wear sunglasses all of the time and a hat - natural hair colour was auburn and I have had it coloured to that shade for many years. Red fades - if I suited any other colour - or had something other than horrible iron grey I would do a different colour or not colour. I hope you find something. Way back in the day I did use a couple of Arden products and then - Orlane for over 20 years, until the company decided to d/c the old fashioned plain but rich products in favour of actives. But I owe my skin of today to Orlane. I wish I could just use anything - I know people who can. The really funny thing is that people think I have pretty good skin for my age - a joke! I am about to turn 63 and have thin facial features. All in all, even I agree I could look worse. It is a good thing I decided to stick with basic but rich hydrating serums and creams - now the trick is to find them.

• alisande
    11 years ago

Eccentric, you have my sympathy--especially for the one lipstick, as I'm a bit of a collector. No sympathy sent for your good skin, though. :-)

Coincidentally re Retinol, I was just reading a back issue of O magazine in which the Beauty Editor had this to say about her skin care routine:

"Every other night I apply a pea-sized amount of a prescription retinoid, and after about ten minutes I smooth on a similar amount of moisturizer. The retinoid helps my skin generate collagen and elastin, diminishing fine lines and wrinkles . . . On alternate nights I apply an 18% glycolic acid lotion, which exfoliates dead skin cells. For day, I use an SPF 15 lotion with glycolic acid and the antioxidant vitamins C and E, which protect against environmental damage. . . Except for the prescription retinoid, the products I use are available online or over the counter in drugstores."

She also stated that oils do not penetrate well. (I've used almond oil after a shower, when my skin is very damp, and it seems to penetrate well that way.)

She went on to say, "Creams and lotions, on the other hand, contain humectants that pull moisture from the environment and penetrate the skin's outer layer, plumping it; they also contain skin-softening emollients and occlusives."

• petra_gw
    11 years ago

I've tried both Argan and Marula oil, and they don't even leave an oily residue, they absorb so well. Maybe she meant penetrate as in, they do not reach the deeper layers of skin?
    One thing I've done for about the past month is use 50% lactic acid on my face, neck and chest once per week. It does sting, which might be because I have sensitive skin, but it leaves the skin very clean and it's supposed to improve skin texture and even out skin tone, plus increase collagen after a while. We'll see!

• eccentric
    11 years ago

alisande - the funny thing is of course is that my skin is not really all that good - it was basically my foundation - now d/c - have one application left - that made it appear so. One lipstick isn't my only problem - I have one blush, foundation, a couple of neutral eye shadows and my moisturizing loose powder. My husband thinks I am making it up when I tell him that so many women have drawers full of the latest colours! Of course my one lipstick is not cheap - but since I only have one it sort of balances out. I read your posting written by the beauty editor - I wish I could use retinol. Back in the day when these types of products first came out, my derm tried just a touch on the side of my jaw - yikes: My skin is just too thin - and with the rosacea a major problem. Can't handle fillers either - so what you see is what you get. I have bought the new formulation of my foundation - has more oil which is good but lacks the coverage which is bad. The SAs in the U.S. have found that their customers of a certain age hate it and it has really cost them sales - certainly younger girls like it, but if I wanted a slightly thicker TM I would have bought one. Actually, despite wearing my former full coverage, oil based foundation, I appeared to be wearing a TM - my skin just sucked it up. Of course everything I use is higher end but at the lower end of the high end due to my acid/retinol issues. I would love to be able to do a yogourt mask - or egg and honey (the honey gets me), I can't use exfoliators - my skin seems to exfoliate itself. My derm and his nurse actually wrote a paper about me. So the search goes on for a new lipstick - and one that does not look dry. I do lip balm my lips like crazy, then fill them in with a liner (now d/c) and then the lipstick. I once managed to match the colour but the formula felt as if I had been eating greasy soup and crackers. After apply my l/s I can't tell I am wearing it, which is good. Basically, I have no colour to my face - never have - except for the yellow under-tone and the dark, deep set eyes. I don't use concealer because what goes on must come off and I also have ocular rosacea. My lips have absolutely no pigment. My eyes are hazel but I don't suit lavender e/s - yellow skin - plus I can't handle the pigment. Same with copper shades. I adore "sophisticated" pinks - unfortunately I look horrible in pink - but since in Toronto we can buy so many brands at only one store, the same customers have seen each other over the years and everyone knows that I will try something if I think it might work - and have seen the horror shows - so they will ask for my opinion - particularly re pinks! But better to know that they look awful on me. Clothing wise I look best in jet black, navy and khaki green (that is a hard one to find). I look pretty awful in most other colours. So black it often is and we have a white dog - who sheds. I wish my skin was normal! I do often add almond oil to unscented drugstore body lotion - that helps a lot. I do not have any perfume because it turns rancid on me - so that is a money saver and at least I can't be accused of stinking up a room. Unscented antiperspirant is a problem because the scented versions turn on me - I smell like rancid baby powder. Then there is unscented laundry detergent. You have many more options in the U.S. that we do in Canada, so if I can find a laundry detergent I can use, I buy 6.

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

I will soon be 71 and everyone says I look much younger. My dermatologist recommends Olay Complete Defense spf 30 for sensitive skin. I had a cousin ask me what I used and was surprised when I told her. She pays $100 a jar for her moisturizer and my skin looks better.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH