SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Please help: Water running non stop to furnace humidifier

SparklingWater
11 years ago

Hello. I have an Aprilaire wall-mounted, furnace-connected with thermostat older model humidifier which was recently serviced with new PVC tubing and filter and was told all was "ok" by the HVAC man. Just yesterday the same company's plumber tightened up the top nut on the dedicated humidifier valve to solve some minor water leaking. The valve controls the flow of water to the humidifier and comes off of the gas water heater and no longer leaks at the nut.

I am disturbed by the amount of constant water entering the sump pump from the humidifier, even occurring when the furnace is off. It's not just a minor drip, but more like a considerable constant run drip. I don't think this is normal and wish your opinion. I can't even imagine our future water bill if I were to let this go unattended. I have a newer 80% dual stage American Standard gas furnace and realize water is a combustion by-product, so water would be more prominent when the furnace is running. But this humidifier water to sump pump is constant even without furnace on.

Is it normal for water to be flowing through a dedicated line to the humidifier even when the furnace is off? I can hear the water spraying through into the filter box no matter when.

Sounds to me like I have a faulty water valve problem or am missing some turnoff feedback which engages when the furnace turns off. I have once again turned this branching valve from the gas water heater off until I know what's up.

Thank you for any and all help. Cross post with HVAC forum.

Comments (10)