SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Can a stainless counter go w/ beige-ish subway tile?

theresse
14 years ago

I'm doing a somewhat period (1913) kitchen using stainless as if it were zinc I guess you could say, along w/ a farm sink and appropriate faucet. For subway tile backsplash I'm thinking 2 x 6 and was going to do a light, non-busy white marble picked through for the right look.

While I'm probably still doing marble, I'm surprised - very surprised - that I'm having a hard time letting go of the warmth and symmetry that my peachy-tan-pinkish colored square tile backsplash offers, when paired up w/ wood floors and white cabinets/sink. I've always hated that skin-tone backsplash and yet apparently it's grown on me! What the heck is wrong w/ me?

I was going to do a Walker Zanger "Hamptons Beige" 2x6 subway tile which is lightly crackled and has a lovely glaze, when I was going to be doing honed black granite or else a dark grey soapstone. It's a gorgeous combination. But since I decided to forego a black counter for something more light and bright, easy to maintain and less common in an old house (heavy gauge stainless so as not to dent) I assumed the beige should be out and that I should go w/ marble since the combination of stainless and marble in an old house is really attractive if done well.

But...it's kinda cold and is a lot of white, having white cabinets (which aren't likely to change to any other color).

Can anyone visualize this and tell me FRANKLY if the stainless counter w/ white Shaws farm sink, tall gooseneck faucet and beige subway tile would be too weird (cold and warm right up against each other like that)?

Walker Zanger tile:

http://www.unitedtile.com/.docs/pg/11043

another example of the color (very slight hint of pink but almost not):

http://www.transworldtile.com/gramercypark1.htm

Below is a link to my present backsplash (a bit too pink but it's the warmth that keeps grabbing me - and no I'm not going to keep that tile). ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: The pinkish beige tile I have now...

Comments (9)