SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Stainless OR white appliances w/ stainless counter in period kitc

theresse
14 years ago

This is regarding a partial-remodel. In a perfect world, we'd tear down the wall between the kitchen and mudroom/half-bath for a larger kitchen that also faces West. ;)

A couple of pics of our kitchen will be at the bottom of this post (though that backsplash will most likely become 2x6 white marble subway tile, with stainless countertop instead of the white tile that you'll see now, and the island's top will go from stainless to wood, for added warmth).

I've never had stainless appliances and have always wanted them. Now that I'm getting a stainless countertop (only one counter in our 1913, 12.5 x 14 ft., North facing so pretty dark kitchen), I'm wondering if stainless appliances would be overkill. Our cabinets, which go all the way to the ceiling, are painted white. Because the kitchen is fairly small and dark, I think black appliances would be a little depressing - at least the mainstream brands would be (maybe not a half-black, half-stainless Wolf!). Plus there will be plenty of black accents as it is.

The other issue is that it will be a period kitchen within reason, though I can't afford period-appropriate appliances that cost tens of thousands of dollars - nor your nice pro appliances like Wolf or viking or Subzero, etc.). I know stainless doesn't sound "period" but w/ farm sink, tall gooseneck faucet, wood floors and original craftsman cabinets I think it will work.

I was also wondering if I could/should have some white AND some stainless? Or not? Maybe consistency would be better? Would all white look better, or would all stainless work, w/ wood floor below and wood-topped island in the center?

Presently, we have no dishwasher yet (never have - for a family of 5!) and we have a white GE stove, about 10 years old, and a 20 year-old GE standard fridge. We're not getting a new stove now but are getting a new fridge and dishwasher. Counter where dishwasher will be is on the North wall with the two windows above the sink. The South and East walls will each have the other appliances (doesn't matter which - though I think we'll have the fridge be opposite the counter - so the South wall) since it will make the room feel more open if it's there.

Or I thought maybe a white dishwasher under the stainless counter (?) and then the other walls could have stainless? Or the opposite: stainless dishwasher then stove and fridge would be white?

Ugh - if you have any suggestions, please do share! Here's one pic of the kitchen, showing all the white cupboards on the wall w/ no appliances (the West wall):

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/01/more_of_theresses_kitchen_show.html

See the link below to the pic w/ the long counter which will be stainless and which will have the new dishwasher to left of new farm sink (ignore the fake cardboard faucet! I made it just to see how high the new faucet will look in our kitchen!).

Thank you!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The North wall where stainless counter and dishwasher will be...

Comments (22)

• John Liu
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is an aesthetic question so in the end, it is your taste and vision that matters.

But if you want some thoughts, I would, and again this is just personal taste, favor appliances that have an older, more traditional ''look''. Rectangular lines, not swoopy curves. Knobs and switches, not touchscreens and LCD panels. If stainless, then a duller satin/brushed finish, not shiny and polished. Whether the appliance is stainless or white, wouldn't be my top concern. A bit of color might be nice.

Just browsing the AJ Madison website, I noticed some nice-looking and not-too-expensive ranges from Summit and NXR. I'm just looking at pictures, no personal experience with either. Also, I personally would be very open to buying scratch-and-dent, floor model, or used.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

johnliu -

You wrote: "Whether the appliance is stainless or white, wouldn't be my top concern."

The problem is, it's my concern at the moment. ;) Swoopy curves are often more old-fashioned looking than rectangular lines I thought. What did you mean by that? I'm trying to imagine any modern appliance w/ swoopy curves (?).

As for knobs and switches, I"m not getting a new stove right now either way, so that leaves only the fridge, and UNLESS I get a fridge w/ no water and ice through door, I'm stuck w/ the whole digital thing. I may not go for the hassles of water and ice through door (always breaking down and warrantees aren't any longer than 5 years) but regardless...those details being too modern aren't as important to me because I said I want "period within reason" meaning every tiny detail doesn't matter - especially since I can't afford to get the beautiful, antique looking french ranges and pro fridges, etc.

When you said a bit of color might be nice, what did you mean? You mean a colored appliance e.g. red or something, or red knobs like w/ the Vikings? Yup - color = too expensive I'm afraid. Pendant shades, throw rugs and countertop small appliances is another matter.

One last question: why brushed and not polished? I only ask cause in the "olden days" I thought metals were often polished? Or did you mean brushed cause it would just not stand out as much?

I'll check out the AJ Madison site, thanks!

• Related Discussions

How many brands offer white w/ stainless handles?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi and thanks for your response. I think it would be fun to have appliances of a different color, but I also assumed only one or two companies offer them - or not all who offer them offer other appliances, just stoves. Also, want to get appliances that have good reviews but aren't several thousands of dollars.
    ...See More

RHOME410 please read re. stainless counter w/ marble

Q

Comments (5)
    Yay - there you are! You're absolutely right, I didn't mean to write white countertop - I meant stainless (I noticed they don't offer an edit option either!). Thank you. Yes I'd like to pick a nice punchy color for the walls/ceiling since there's no molding to separate them from each other and since there isn't enough wall space either way. I've also considered painting the West wall cupbaords (floor to ceiling, over the ENTIRE wall, and yes original) something different - like an accent wall. But that's where my imagination ends. I don't know what color would be appropriate and then it would also depend on what I did color-wise to the walls/ceiling elsewhere I suppose. I think though that I'll just keep all those cabinets white and just do something crazy for the little paintable space there is, like a deep rose color or a midnight blue or maybe a really deep warm rusty orangy color! Ooooh I'm outa control now! But I agree that if I feel the counter/backsplash area is too bland, I should stir things up a bit. I'll look further into the polished nickel issues just cause i know there have been some complaints, but if I don't find there are too many issues I'll probably go for it. It's so beautiful and I think it would bring a lot of warmth and class to that cold stainless without clashing. There's another faucet by the same company that has just the one lever/handle (?) instead of two so that might be simpler. I like it cause it still looks "period" which is a look I'm going for due to having SO much original stuff going on in the house, including the kitchen. Translate: it's easy for me to keep things the way they are since I don't have the time/energy/creativity/imagination/confidence to throw in more modern pieces I don't think! That's part of what I love about your kitchen - that you brought in these different elements in such a nice way. Here's a link to the more simpler faucet, although I wouldn't get it in this color of course: http://www.rohlhome.com/pdf/U4702.pdf I prefer a separate sprayer, just from my own experience. These Perrin & Rowe faucets cost a LOT of money - more than I've ever spent on any faucets I've ever bought, put together (!) but I found one place that charges quite a bit less, and I have a history of having lots of problems with faucets. When I tested this one in the store (the first one) it felt so sturdy and sleek and tight and just QUALITY so I decided to go for it. It's probably the first and last time I ever get away with doing something like this. I'm no princess, much as I like to pretend I am! Do you have any opinions on dishwashers? Yikes - sorry I wrote so much!!
    ...See More

Mixing white appliances w/ stainless steel?

Q

Comments (3)
    We bought the house we are in now almost three years ago-and it had white cabinets, white appliances and cream laminate counters. VERY WHITE....we too had to buy a fridge and I couldn't decide if it was okay to buy SS and went with white so it would "match" the others. Now we have replaced the counters and ALL the appliances with SS. I wish I would have just purchased the SS fridge I wanted from the start-I think it is certainly okay to mix them-and if you buy the white knowing you plan to eventually replace the other ones you may regret it-I did immediately. Now my almost 3 year old fridge is in the garage-which is fine...and I do love having it there-but would have saved me $2500 to just get the SS to begin with.
    ...See More

White Sink w/ Stainless Appliances???

Q

Comments (7)
    On this thread, I posted pics of my white drop in sink (love the sink - Kohler, SmartDivide) and butcher block (oak, from IKEA). I do have other photos lurking around, after the installation of the granite, but I think that this will give you an idea? For some reason, I love enamel sinks. Wish that appliances were made of the same! Here is a link that might be useful: thread with photos
    ...See More
  • mondragon
    14 years ago

You might want to look for topics on mixing different color appliances on here; I agree with John that its what works for you.

I have white cabs, fridge, dishwasher, and stainless rangetop and hood. To my eye white appliances mostly disappear in the white cabinets so when you add in something stainless it doesn't clash.

For some reason it's easy for me to imagine a stainless dishwasher under the stainless countertop, because it's mostly just a flat panel of metal, than a stainless fridge, maybe because the fridge will have more noticeable modern styling.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Personally, I would go white. Stainless could blend with the countertop to create a specific shape, like a T, that isn't necessarily what you want. But I don't think it's that big of a difference: either could work.

I think paneled would be ideal, though, but obviously that's more expensive.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Any reason to not do a paneled dishwasher? Even IKEA has one available now. That would be one less finish to worry about.

How does the fridge fit into the cabinetry? Will you see the sides? If you will see the sides a lot I would consider getting white, simply because they are white front and sides while stainless rarely has stainless sides but has black or grey painted sides that you are just supposed to ignore.

These are cute but may be out of budget at $2600: (They are by Big Chill--its a tricked out Whirlpool, you're paying for the wrapping)

{{gwi:1738363}}

{{gwi:1738364}}

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

I'd probably go with white on the dw - and one with the controls showing on the front. I like the controls showing anyway. I know I'd have enough problems finding them with them right out front and in my face. if they are hidden, I'd never find them...
    white dw will not break up the color line of the cabs. - I'd s ave that for the stove and / or refridge.

you might find a stove when the time comes that has some SS trim to tie it in. otherwise, use the faucet, a t owel bar, toaster etc.

I'd put an old time color in there thru decorating. red, turquoise, yellow, etc.

• covingtoncat
    14 years ago

Totally love the idea of a paneled DW. I think either white or stainless appliances would work, depending on actual design, but I tend to prefer white. I think most stainless is too industrial looking and therefore, not the right look for a period kitchen. A lot people mix white and stainless as many share both elements. For example: a white range w/stainless accents and a stainless hood, white fridge body w/stainless handles, etc.

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

FWIW: I did a quick check of moderate brands to see if there is something that looks less sleek/modern and more pro or 'timeless' (although I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.) I like the JennAir Pro Style gas range (PRG3010NP) because it doesn't have an electronic panel on front, just knobs. It kind of has that pro look without the Wolf price. Kitchen Aid has a range with no front electronic panel, but it does have a panel on the backsplash and it has a curved handle that makes it look more modern, at least to me. (KGRS205TSS)

Regarding color... hmmm I'm stumped on that one too. I would like SS, but I don't know if there is an issue getting the same sheen or finish as the counters. But I think SS would look good, esp. with the white cabs and backsplash.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

If you put some marmoleum on the floor, eyes will be looking there first.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

I like mixing the updated appliances with the old st*yle cabinets. Personally I think the cabinetry should look period appropriate with the house but for the appliances to be current. Here's a link to my almost done kitchen. JMO

Here is a link that might be useful: Almost done kitchen

• smiling
    14 years ago

My first choice would be white paneled dishwasher, white fridge, where the DW "disappears" and preserves the period look. If the b udget won't allow paneled DW, I would go with white DW, and white fridge. You could still do a stainless range later if you needed to replace the one you have now. I think the stainless counter will look great!

• marcolo
    14 years ago

I just have to ask, because I can't remember from your previous threads: you're not seriously considering replacing your upper cabs, are you?!!?

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you SO much everyone! Being short on time at this moment I'll just start responding to as many replies as I can at this moment - even if not in order as my thoughts are flying - and hopefully can finish my replies soon! :) But I just want to thank you for now. I really appreciate the time you each took to give me some thoughtful feedback.

I see now what Johnliu meant by curved appliances cause I stopped at Sears today since I was one store away and I saw exactly how they look modern.

Chicagoans - Sadly, we don't have gas, and the electric stoves are BUTT UGLY. But it doesn't really matter right now either way since I'm not in the market for a stove yet. As for the same sheen as the counter: the typical stainless fridge (some sheen) is close enough to the counter which is your basic polished stainless (at least it isn't brushed/matte).

I'm not sure I could afford a paneled DW but I'll definitely look into it. The thing is, I don't know what our lower cabinets will eventually look like. For now, they're cheap flat things, though solid wood, w/ no detail - no molding. I think they were put in in the '50's or so.

Marcolo - The upper ones are the original ones and no of course I wouldn't replace them! I think they're great! I don't know if their doors were originally below or not (never stopped to measure).

Palimpsest - I've seen those colorful fridges before but never pursued because I have specifics I need in a fridge (e.g. size, and maybe ice and water or at least on the inside) and I assumed these retro ones would be pretty limited in those ways - particularly size. I also prefer the freezer on the bottom.

The old fridge is presently standing right next to one of the doorways into the kitchen, with nothing near it besides the servant's stairs that go up to yet another door. One of the original cabinets is above it, though I had to remove the door and cut the cabinet bottom off (!) in order to fit the fridge there originally. I think the fridge's new location will be on the wall opposite the counter/sink, and it will stand just to the left of a chimney that sticks annoying out into the room and which isn't coming down anytime soon (chimney's plastered over and painted same color as kitchen walls). The only way to make the fridge look built in there would be to get a counter-depth one and even then the chimney only comes out of the wall 25" so with the back grill things and the doors of the fridge, I'm guessing the fridge would stick out a few more inches if getting counter-depth. I didn't want that but maybe it's worth it (the Samsung has a 23 cu. ft. CD french door fridge). Not sure what to do there but the nice 29 cu. ft. fridges would REALLY stick out.

Covingtoncat - I like appliances that have some stainless and then either white or black. I wanted to find a fridge that was white w/ stainless handles but none of the reputable ones offered that.

altagirl - your link to your "almost done" pics showed it's an empty album (?) so I didn't get to see any examples of old style kitchen w/ new style appliances. :( But I agree w/ the general idea. Like I said, period within reason.

Thanks again!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Sorry about that theresse! Here's a couple of pics in case you are still working on this.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Theresse,

I'm too tired to focus on reading all the replies carefully, so please excuse if my response is something that has already been hashed out.

Paneling, as was said, does hide the modern machinery so that you don't have to worry about showing things that aren't period appropriate. You can panel with whatever you're doing as your interim, and repanel when you redo your cabinets.

Regarding the looks of period appliances, nothing was standardized in the past. Some had designs that were more about the guy who drew it making all the things work. Others were exceedingly elegant. All kinds of colors and finishes were used. My very favorite is a '20's range that is made to look like an ormolu finished dresser.

I think the most important thing in choosing the looks of your appliances is to choose things with simple lines that could have fit with a by-gone design aesthetic. Especially since you're not shopping high end, I'd also be on the lookout for good quality that doesn't have a lot of plasticy parts. Knobs and handles, yes, as in could have been bakelite, but not so much frames and displays, especially white parts that can discolor.

For the rest of it, anything that is fairly simply designed, that doesn't a lot of whizbang dohickeys should fit the idea of period, if not the exactitude (which you wouldn't want anyway, being used to modern function). You can even put in something very now like induction, when you're ready for the stove, because what's seen is just a simple glass panel. It could be the cover of an old style range. The main thing old appliances had in common, because, mostly, of their era in design history, is simple.

Re fridges, even though a lot of mid-century ones had interior freezer compartments, bottom freezer units weren't unheard of. Any side-by-side or french door/armoire style would likely not be the look you're going for. This Samsung is reasonably priced and would fit the theme well enough. It would be better without the display on the bottom of the fridge door, but the shape is very nice. Whereas a sxs with ice in the door would just stick out. I don't know anything about the quality (check the appliance forum) but I think the brand is okay in general. It's the same unit in pearl white or stainless but the pictures are different (and the click to enlarge is part of the picture. I didn't include the link).

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

altagirl - great pics, thanks! I agree that the appliances don't have to be old-fashioned looking in a generally period kitchen. Or maybe I've been using the wrong word all this time. Maybe transitional? I basically mean everything's generally period looking except for the appliances simply because the appliances could never be period without either going w/ antiques or else simply living the dream $$$$$$ and able to afford Lacanche etc.

I think I mislead people w/ my title of this thread. By bringing up period, I mean that between a relatively modern-looking white fridge or a relatively modern looking stainless fridge, in this particular kitchen: white original 1913 cabinets all the way to the ceiling w/ some sort of old-fashioned looking subway tile, a non-modern looking stainless counter, farm sink and gooseneck wall-mounted faucet...and wood-topped island in the center of the room.

plllog - thank you! As I was saying above, I didn't explain myself well. I don't mind the appliances being modern (can't afford it any other way, and am not willing to give up the french door/bottom freezer practicality in the name of being more like period). I just mean that in a kitchen that's not meaning to be overly-modern - i.e. stainless everywhere you look - can I get away w/ having stainless appliances or should I just go w/ boring white, after years of only having boring white? The bold colors aren't available yet in appliances that offer all I need in a fridge (e.g. french door, bottom freezer, big enough or counter depth). I like the idea of doing a panel. Do you know if a panel is even offered for a french door style that ISN'T terribly high-end? I know I can get a panel on the dishwasher for the same or not much more. I'm aiming toward either Meile or Kitchen Aid. Probably Kitchen Aid since it has extra heavy duty scrubbers (feedback welcomed!). So maybe if I have a stainless counter w/ white-painted paneled dishwasher below it and all other cupboards white or offwhite, and then a fridge on opposite wall that's stainless, I can someday tie the two together in a future stove (stainless w/ white, or stainless w/ black would be good too since there will be lots of black accents throughout the room). Meanwhile, my current stove/microwave is boring white, so it certainly won't clash due to the white cupboards.

I just want to know if - in a small kitchen - the stainless fridge shouldn't really be white to avoid the overkill of stainless in a kitchen that isn't meant to look like a galley aboard a space ship. ;)

Also, I wanted to point out that while a FD style fridge isn't period looking, the fact that it has french doors is kind of old fashioned-ish to me, in and of itself. You don't think so?

Thanks again!
    And no...I haven't done anything yet. I'm pathetic! I get such small windows of time to look into these matters that this process sure drags on!

• altagirl
    14 years ago

theresse- I recommend focusing on getting the cabinetry right with style and sizes and go for whatever appliances "hit" you as being the right look or fit your budget. Personally I like to minimize the types of surfaces in a small kitchen so I think using ss appliances with the ss counters is a great idea and look. The cabinets are the most important link to the age of the house IMO.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

altagirl, I LOVE the kitchen you posted. I love the orb knobs on the white cabinets with the happy counters and the beautiful backsplash.

therese, I would recommend stainless steel appliances since the white cabinets will break up the stainless steel.

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Thanks for your kind compliments lynne2006! Most of my choices were pretty easy to make because I went with what the rest of the house had already. Every inch of my new, 1930s house is original except for the kitchen. All the hardware throughout is orb and the tile in the bathrooms are basic matte white.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

altagirl - I'm glad to hear you say that, cause I think deep down I really want an excuse to finally get my first stainless appliances (much as some say they might be on their way out of fashion)! ;) I could also have the dishwasher be paneled to match the other lower cabinets and then have just the fridge (and later, part of the stove) be stainless. I love your marble. It has just the right amount of veining and looks so cool and smooth. Also love those floors. My original floors have actually put a sliver in my foot due to being fir and beat up over the years! :-O Is that a Perrin & Rowe faucet? I didn't realize that was your kitchen although in retrospect I suppose it makes sense that it's yours!!

lynn - same w/ you - I'm glad that you think the white cupboards will help break up all that stainless. I also think that replacing the kitchen island's top (currently stainless!) w/ a nice wood surface will add more dimension (I'd considered marble but the backsplash will be marble), and the white sink in the middle of the stainless counter will also hopefully throw the eye off the "scent" of too much stainless as well.

Those orb knobs look similar to what our cupboards have, too. It's interesting cause a couple of the knobs that we have are heavier, slightly thicker and have the hammered look and where the black has rubbed off, what's under that looks more like...well like bronze or copper or something darker. But then most of the knobs aren't as dense - while looking almost identical from a distance - and are flatter (no hammered surface) and where the black has faded/rubbed off there is typical gray metal. So I'm assuming only the hammered knobs are original but then what do I know?! I can't imagine why there would be so few of the hammered looking ones (what would have happened to all the rest, if they're original?)! Also, all the other matching cabinet doors throughout the craftsman house (w/ colonial revival lighting) have aged brass latches on the doors. So maybe the kitchen originally had latches instead of the black knobs. The butterfly style hinges which are seen in brass or else painted over throughout the house, are black, on the kitchen cupboards. So who knows. Maybe they were always black knobs. So curious...

• altagirl
    14 years ago

Yes, the faucet is P&R in polished nickel... the brownish tone of the pn looks great with the orb knobs and pulls (which I got from Restoration Hardware) and my lights in the eat*ing area (antique brass, which you can't see from these pics). The floor is new white oak and matches perfectly with the rest of the floors in my house.