SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Form as function

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I've noticed a lot of kitchens seem to fall into two categories, those that elevate form over function and others with function over form. A functional kitchen can still be attractive, but the looks do not overshadow the function. The question about what makes a kitchen charming got me thinking, too. So, for me at least, I think I've come up with a good way to know if something is going to work in my kitchen..and that is using the form as function. Probably not a new idea, but it seems to work for me :)

If I want to include something in the new kitchen, that item has to provide a function. It can be beautiful or simply cozy, but it needs to contribute something. Money and space are too much of a premium to not make every item pull its own weight, so to speak.

So, dishes that are displayed will be used, if only for fancy tea with mom and/or friends, but they will be something that is actually used on a daily or weekly basis. Open shelves and glass upper cabinets will hold items used often, or easy to access. Open shelves, plate racks and mug hooks are great for everyday use, so they don't get too dusty. I like glass uppers for items that are easy to find, but don't need to constantly be dusted. Water glasses are a great example...I need more than a few, but the same few in front, would keep getting used first.

Pans can be on hooks, for easy access, but they need to be used often enough, that they don't get dusty. Larger pots and those used less often, will go on pull out shelves, right by the range...so they're easy to find and easy to use.

Appliances need to be easy to use and not hidden behind doors (just my personal opinion) and any small appliances I don't use weekly, will stay in the pantry. Pantries are wonderful, not only for giving lots of extra storage, but they provide a secondary work area for the blender, dehydrator, and even overflow, if I ever start canning. Why have all that in the main work area.

Also, finishes should be easy to clean, maintain and work on. I want some butcher block, but for cutting, so probably that would be between the range and fridge. Marble (at least a small area) would be wonderful for the baking center, but it's going to get etched and I need to be okay with that...if not, I'll probably get a light granite or quartz. If I can find a formica I love, I'll probably use that around the main sink. It's what I have now and I love that water can sit on it overnight, it's soft when you drop a dish and if the nieces and nephews 'help' me with the dishes...they can't hurt it!

The other form as function item, will be the wood stove. Yes, a fireplace offers some warmth and is beautiful, visually, but a wood stove offers more warmth and a surface for cooking. I've actually made apple pies (in a cast iron skillet) on a wood stove, before. They're also great, in case of a power outage. I could survive a long time, with tea, apple pie and warming something up, out of a can :)

Finally, everyone likes some nice things in their kitchen, something special that really contributes to the style they're trying to achieve. This is great, but in my kitchen, any vintage or antique pieces will be usable, all display should be something to use (or the few antique family heirlooms, stored high up behind glass) and surfaces are meant to be used for cooking, baking, and prepping...not clutter display. One might argue that the family heirlooms (mainly a few antique dishes from great/great/great...) are not useful, but I would say they remind us of where we came from and help guide us to where we want to go.

So, that's my answer...form as function. Don't know if it will work for everyone, but for me, it makes a lot of sense and in the process, might create a functional but attractive (dare I say charming?) kitchen :)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!