SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryjam

Form vs function. Which layout would you choose

berryjam
9 years ago

To all the wonderful people here on GW, please opine.

I have a preliminary layout (plan A, with the help from buehl and others)that I've been working with and started to get quotes for the kitchen. 2 places recommend that I should make my range hood the feature and centre it in the wall since the space is open concept. To be honest, I didn't think about this option since I had a great plan from the help of GW and it never occurred to me...but now it has me thinking. Can I have both?

I've tried to draw up my own elevation plans (I know, kind of ghetto but I'm not tech savy and working on the computer takes longer for me). Please let me know which plan you would choose, which feature you think is more important and is there a way to combine it.

Plan A - has nice space btwn the perimeter sink and range. But I imagine I will be working at the island for most of the time. My plan is to use the perimeter sink for cleaning pots and pans and to the left will be where plastics and such can dry off. It also has a 24" easy reach upper corner cabinet which I like.

Plan B- this is my own rendition of having the range hood centered. Should I have space btwn my cabinets and the hood? Do you think 26" is enough space for a secondary prep space btwn range and sink? I like the horizontal cabinet look. Do you think it looks ok to mix styles?

Plan C- I tried to get a larger sink on the perimeter while still keeping the range centered and keeping a fair space btwn the range and sink. How about glass cabs beside the hood and glass cabs to counter on the short "L" beside the fridge (plan F). Also is this look worth having a blind corner in the upper wall cabinets?

The differences btwn plan D and E are the horizontal cabs and a wall at the end of the run (in case I can't remove all of the wall. I just needed a visual)

I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks

Jamie

Comments (29)