SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmgard_gw

Form vs. Function-- which would you choose?

kmgard
15 years ago

Here's my dilemma: Our house was built in '94, my husband and I bought it 18 months ago, and we have slowly been making cosmetic updates (scraping "popcorn" finish off ceilings, painting, changing doorknobs/light fixtures, etc.).

Now we are ready for a big project-- the kitchen. It's terrible. It has extremely cheap white painted cabinets (I mean, doors are warped, can see the seams on the boxes, etc.) white laminate countertops and brass hardware, and white linoleum floors. Needless to say, it needs work. We considered refacing the cabinets, but the layout of the kitchen is just not functional and the more we think about it, the more we lean towards just getting new cabinets.

Current layout (This was my first attempt, so dimensions are done by countertops, not cabinets (doh!) My new layout is measured correclty, so keep that in mind):

We've been getting some quotes from cabinet places and contractors, but we're starting to lean towards ordering online and trying a DIY install. Why? My husband is military and we will most likely be moving in 2-3 years. We don't want to spend too much money because we don't want to spend more than the value of our home. However, we want the kitchen to "stand out" compared to new construction. we don't have an open floorplan and only 8' ceilings, so we need something to compete with the generic builder-grade cabinets we see in all the new construction around here.

I've been playing with layouts and the StarMark cabinets from the MKFUSA site I saw posted on this site. I've come up with a layout I like (will post as soon as I get it scanned), basically we will be ripping out the pantry and moving the fridge there. But here's the catch-- to get the door style, finish, AND layout I want with all the functionality, we would go over budget once we included countertops, lighting, floors, backsplash, etc. So where should I compromise? Simpler door/drawer style? Change out drawer bases for door bases? Get them unfinished and finish ourselves? As a homeowner I'd hate to lose functionality, but as a potential seller, I know that having the right door style can be a huge "wow" factor. What do you think?

Current white-on-white-on-white Kitchen:

Comments (27)