SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Vote: oven change. Function vs form vs cost (lots of pics)

rhome410
15 years ago

Situation: Chipping/pitting porcelain in the bottom of my F&P ovens. F&P has been very helpful and responsive and has offered new ovens. However, my model has been discontinued so they would send me the new one.

The good: The new ovens have telescoping racks, and that's the only feature I've felt my ovens were missing, and would welcome that change.

The bad: The new model has a more contemporary (European?) look including black glass doors and knobs with glowing lights... A more hard-edged look that I purposely avoided.

Other option: Against normal policy, they will send the DCS oven instead, but I'd have to pay the $1400 difference. The look and the name is the only difference I can find between the ovens.

These ovens (both the DCS and the F&P) are so new that no store around me has one, I have only the on line photos to work from. I have superimposed the options into that run of cabinets to see what others think. So far the consensus is that the DCS does look better, but no one is sure it's worth $1400. Function is certainly tops with me, but I also spent a lot of time choosing things to make a complete look for the room, and I am afraid I'll dislike or have to avoid looking at the oven every time I walk in. I see my kitchen as softly colored, light, comfy/family friendly, and practical.

I know I'm being a big baby, and should be happy to be having my ovens replaced and getting the better racks in the process...

Thanks for looking and offering any wise words that will help me make the right decision. Here are the options and my kitchen as it is:

New F&P:

New DCS:

Current oven:

Whole kitchen views for reference:

The lighting in this one captures the real feel of the room best, I think:

Comments (135)