SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanky_md

Mod nursery embodying both form and function

spanky_md
15 years ago

This is the work of my talented daughter, whose first baby (a boy!) is due in a couple of weeks. She entered the photos in a contest on ohdeedoh.com and won a $250 gift card to Dwell! As a winner, her photos were entered in another contest with even bigger stakes at cookiemag.com.

OK, I admit it, I'm trolling for votes for her! But I also know that some of you will get a kick out of seeing this room whether you want to vote for it or not. I think she did a great job. The room is comfortable and serene, yet it has plenty going on that will hold a baby's attention.

The contest is specific to the clothes storage system, which is very convenient and thoroughly thought out while being cute at the same time. But the rest of the room is great, too.

She took the sliding doors off the closet and fitted it with IKEA wire basket drawer units and shelves. I think they are Barnum shelves. The patterned labels on the plastic tubs are just paper from a scrapbooking store (Joann's and Michael's both sell tons of decorative paper like this).

More photos flickr.

The curtain is from IKEA, too, as is the cable rod it hangs from. She also stuck some little round frameless mirrors to the underside of the lowest shelf above the changing table so that the baby can check himself out.

The wall color in the closet is "Lobster Bisque" from the Martha Stewart line at Lowe's. The main wall color is "Dockside Haze" from the Seaside Retreat line at Lowe's. I think they are both eggshell but I'm not positive.

The bed has Dwell Baby linens from Target---the animals pattern. The crib is the Gulliver from IKEA (they live three miles from an IKEA!), as are the Billy bookcases in white (we painted the back panels with the closet paint).

It was all done on a budget. The upholstered chair and ottoman were the only splurge and they are exquisitely comfortable and totally worth it! They are done in a Knoll fabric called "Abacus", bought at an outlet in PA for under $10/yd. The fabric works in the room but will also be fine in the living room or family room when the kid is older.

She has since hung some art on the walls so it looks a little different now but these pics are pretty representative. I just love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: vote at cookiemag.com if you're so inclined

Comments (12)