SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

modern bathroom design compromise: choose form or function?

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

We started our design with the idea that we wanted a sleek frameless glass shower. We never questioned that it would be a rectangle, with a nice elegant 90-degree angle of glass.

But in laying out the fixtures, we had to compromise and make the shower door open right in front of the toilet. It's not the main bathroom, so people won't be wearing dirty shoes to use the toilet but its still not ideal. yet, a comporomise we chose (rough plumbing is in, so this layout CANNOT change now...)

Last night had a brainstorm... we could angle the shower door, allowing for a separate bit of floor space for enter/exiting the shower. the bath mat could stay on the floor and not get stepped on by toilet-users. The shower is big enough (36" x 58" interior) to lop off a corner, I think, and it makes the smallish vanity feel less boxed in too.

BUT------- is the "look" all wrong? I guess I associate angled showers with a less-modern, more traditional, even 80's style. Seems like all the sleek elegant modern baths I like have squared corners on the shower.

What do you guys think? Would you choose FORM (sleeker looks) or FUNCTION (easier to use the space)???

Here are a couple sketches, and some inspiration pics so you can see the look we're after... our materials are:

floor tile= 12 x 25 white porcelain

wall/shower tile= white glass mosaic

niches/shower floor= honey onyx

vanity = wood with white semi-recessed ceramic vessel sinks

wood accents and cabinetry

{{gwi:1494639}}

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County