SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Electric hot water heater not staying as hot

debo_2006
13 years ago

Our 80 gallon A.O. Smith electric hot water heater was install in 1990 when the ex-owners lived here with 4 people. We have a 4 BR, 2.5 bath, plus another powder room in basement. There have been 2 of us living here since 7/1993.

Last week I couldn't get hot water from the kitchen faucet. We found the breaker has tripped. We replaced it and that hasn't happened again since. But, I'm finding the hot water doesn't stay as hot for as long. I take long showers (15-20 mins - I'm a girl). Yesterday, I noticed toward the end of the shower, I could turn the cold off and the hot water was fine on my skin when rinsing - I like it hot - but, usually, it would burn me if cold wasn't on too. On a different day, my husband took a short showers and noticed the water wasn't staying as hot either. No other water was running when he showered. In the kitchen, it seems like it doesn't get as hot as it used to.

So, we're looking into replacing our tank with a Bradford White 80 gal. But, it makes me wonder if the current one just needs a minor fix (with the help of a plumber it see what it could be). I'd hate to spend $$ on a plumber just to possibly find we need a new one after all. The current one is 20 yrs old which is old for a heater.

Thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor