SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathsgrdn

Wanting drastic change to livingroom (sorry but it's long & pics)

Kathsgrdn
15 years ago

I've been thinking about this awhile, and after viewing Lydia's pictures of her new addition, I'm thinking about this more. I want to lower my livingroom ceiling and put up beadboard, left natural with white trim. My ceiling is half flat near the doorway/entry into the livingroom and then it goes up to a peak, which I hate. In fact, if it weren't for the yard and sunroom I wouldn't have even bought this house because of it.

Here's a picture of it, you can only see a part of the peak and the half circle window, which is really annoying during parts of the day when you're trying to watch a movie and the sun glares on the tv. We've put pillows, signs, and the kids have even stapled and tacked blankets up there. I want that window taken out. I know I could buy a curtain to fit it but don't want the peaked ceiling.

I've always wanted a pale bluish-cornflower colored room with a beachy, cottagey feel to it or have thought about bright yellow walls. I did this sorta in the house we were building down south with our bathroom. It had the plain beaded board half way up the wall, white trim, wall near the tub encloure was blue, upper walls with the beadboard had yellow/white and blue wallpaper on them but the whole bathroom was airy and pretty. I'm even thinking of getting rid of my massive German wall unit and getting a smaller, white one. This one is dark oak and way too big for this tiny room.

Other side of the livingroom, the whole room is overcrowded with "stuff" and I'm getting tired of it:

A few months ago a friend showed me her house, which she has been slowly redoing. Loved her bath and bedroom, airy, sunny and beachy feeling. In the bedroom, she lowered the ceiling with the plain beaded board, added crown molding in white. Wish I had a picture.

I plan on doing it slowy, though. First thing I think I'll do is sell my wall unit and paint the walls, later take out the carpet. I want Pergo that matches stuff in the kitchen. I'll probably do the ceiling last. I don't know what to do about the half circle window, though. The outside of the house is brown brick and not sure what would be put there to cover the hole up. I don't want to spend tons of money trying to find brick to match, got any ideas?

Comments (22)