SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

there are so many changes going on in the garden ( LONG): pics

User
14 years ago

First is the removal this AM of the 3 Leyland Cypress in my neighbor's backyard. They were WAY to big for the area and blocked the afternoon sun ( a good and a bad thing ) as well as impeded the growth of the 2 good trees in my yard. They were causing significant erroding of the yard next door as well as blocking the driveway for the renter who lives there. The owner of the rental property lives across the street and he agreed that they were really too big for the space . So out they went this AM. Roses and more roses are the plan :) now that I have fence and sun !! Yeah !!

before:

{{gwi:739132}}

{{gwi:739133}}

after:

{{gwi:739134}}

{{gwi:739135}}

Next is the big project of painting the front porch. You know how you start something and then the project takes on a life of its own...or maybe you have better luck than I do at keeping things under control LOL. At any rate I sanded and cleaned and primed the front porch on Monday and Tuesday. ( ALso did the back porch and the side porch but they are OK so not part of this story ) Then I realized that the bricks really needed attention as the mortar was falling out due to age and moisture. So I stopped the painting and began cleaning the bricks and searching for a product to fill the mortar lines. Essentially what I am doing is an amateur job of repointing w/o paying my brick guy to do it. The good thing is the brick only has one coat of latex over the original paint...so in 120 years we don't have a lot to contend with. The bad news was that all the azaleas that some PO had planted up close to the brick had to come out. So I stopped the brick cleaning to use my mattock and remove the 4 over- grown azaleas. Then I cleaned the brick again and used the wonderful product I found...elastomeric to grout the brick. So far so good.

Before this was filled with bushes :

{{gwi:739136}}

{{gwi:739137}}

All of these came out !

{{gwi:739139}}

here is the way the brick looked before :

{{gwi:739140}}

after Dap elastomeric :

{{gwi:739141}}

porch before up close at the steps :

{{gwi:739142}}

primed w/ 1st coat:

{{gwi:739143}}

how it will look when painted:

{{gwi:739144}}

And then to top it off the very sad news is they are removing this from my front yard right now as I type this . I have pictures but I started feeling so sick that I had to come in. Is is completely dead in the center and one huge limb fell out a month ago. It will be replaced with a Yoshino Cherry which is wonderful news. So that is what is going on here in Alabama. c

{{gwi:739145}}

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting