SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Fabric for Living Room Couch - Opinions - PICS!!

eldemila
14 years ago

We decided on a living room couch for the house we just bought and I'd like to know if you think the fabrics go well together. Decorating is NOT my forte.

It's going to be a traditional living room. I have glass top tables with mottled gold metal bases.

The first pic of fabrics is for the couch. I'm still not sure if we should go with a matching loveseat and side chair or just 2 side chairs. Honestly, this l.r. is going to be more for show.

The upper fabric is the couch, the bottom is the pillow. Two pillows in the bottom fabric, 1 tubular type pillow in the couch (upper) fabric. Please disregard the sides of the chair, I just threw the fabric on it to see how it would look.

The picture below is of the same 2 fabrics as above, with the addition of the middle fabric which I want to use for the side chair, different make, different manufacturer.

This is the flooring it's going to have to go with. Not tile, looks like it though. Wanted wood, but I have to go with what's in the house when we bought it, can't afford to do anything else. I'll look for an area rug too.

I'm planning on situating the couch on the long window in the pic below, which faces the front door. Sorry, I don't have a pic head on showing the window. The window is 11'1" wide

Below is a link to what the couch looks like, love seat is same, just smaller.

Thanks for any help!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Couch

Comments (23)

• deeinohio
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Love the couch, love the fabric, but I'm more in the camp of a solid color sofa. I think a gold sofa, with two side chairs in your floral fabric would look gorgeous. I always think that sofas with a bold fabric, such as plaid or floral tend to look tired a lot sooner than those with a solid color (The one in your link looks great!). Plus, you can change out looks a lot easier. But, with that being said, if you love the sofa with that fabric, and you won't be using the room much anyway, then go for it.:) Oh, and I definitely would not get a matching loveseat.
    Dee

• msrose
    14 years ago

I love absolutely everything about it. The only thing I might do different is go with solid pillows. Here's a picture I saved to my inspiration file. If I could get a new sofa, this is what I would get, so you can see why I love your choice so much.
    {{gwi:1632052}}

Which ever way you go will look great, but I kind of like the idea of a sofa and 2 chairs.

Laurie

• Related Discussions

Opinion on fabric (pics)

Q

Comments (7)
    How much is that one? Are you choosing it based on cost? I think you can probably find something a little higher end and spend less. Almost all furniture manufacturers doing custom sofas allow C.O.M. (where you buy the fabric) There are a lot of amazing fabric places and a green is EASY! I think this one has the look that it might get wrinkly and wear a bit more than something woven (even if its rarely in use).
    ...See More

Fabric opinions, please (pics)

Q

Comments (5)
    The follow up posts after mine are making me wish now that I had looked into getting a cotton fabric more but after my daughters experience with the denim I just discounted the option. :c( Sujafr is right, a lot of the microfiber materials do show prints, however what I discovered during our purchasing process is it really depends largely on the length of the fibers. Ours are very short and don't but it has more static than my daughters microfiber sofa does. If there was a chance the Broyhill cotton would hold up and I could choose over again between the cotton or the microfiber, I would go with the cotton because I much prefer natural materials over synthetic. Not all cotton fabrics are treated equally though so it really depends on the manufacturer. I think the real question should be if the Broyhill cotton/fabric will hold up. KWIM?
    ...See More

Living Room Decorating Help, Sofa / Sectional advice needed! Pic

Q

Comments (22)
    I am more than happy to share where this stuff came from and am extremely flattered. The rug is the "Brice" rug from Pottery Barn, 9 X 12. The sectional is made by Jonathan Louis. It is called "Knobhill" and the fabric is called Basil Flannel. I got it at a local furniture store but I saw somewhere that Jonathan Louis furniture might be available at Macy's. The website has a dealer locator: http://jonathanlouis.net/. One armchair is coming this evening. I am going to arrange it all again and post another photo. This is immensely helpful and I am just sorry that I can't try every suggestion! Have a spare small desk in the garage, and will try whatever else I can get my patient DH to do. To make things more complicated, I found out that I can order another piece for the sectional. Since I bought the floor model I didn't think of it before. It will seamlessly extend the longer side another 28". That side will def. have to go against the wall (as in the first photos), but the room will be filled out a little more. Yet another option! I think I have decided against exchanging for a sofa/loveseat. One more question: when moving the sofa away from the wall, how far should it be? Just enough to balance things, or enough for an acutal person to pass through?
    ...See More

Rustic living room: which fabric for sofa (tan or truffle)?

Q

Comments (5)
    Go with the lighter. Your space looks dark. Dog hair is the price of having furry friends. The lighter color will also work better with the introduction of leather chairs. Have you ever considered painting the room a warm white or lighter color? It would really make your fireplace a beautiful focal point and bring out the beautiful beams and wood detail.. Your current paint color causes it to recede into the wall.
    ...See More
  • eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dee. I'm not much in to solid sofas, I think for the formal living room it would look a bit too drab, at least for me. True, easier to do something with at a later date, but I'd probably keep this for a really long time.

DH wants the loveseat, I'm on the fence about it. Possibly too much with the same fabric, hard for me to visualize in my head and since we are picking this fabric, can't see it on the two pieces as it would be.

The room is big, and having a couch that seats 3 and 2 chairs would probably be enough for seating but not sure if it will look too small in that area. Not knowing has me keeping from placing the order yet.

Below is a link to the chair I'd get with the fabric in the middle in the post above.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We must have been posting about the same time. Looks just like the same couch - do you know if the one in your file is by England? It has that same pillow that's in black and white, just two regular ones.

We couldn't find a fabric from that company that seemed to go with the couch fabric for the pillows, they weren't as rich looking as the couch fabric. Coloring was another issue, this was the only one that went well with it. I guess we could look for some solid pillow elsewhere, there's enough colors in there.

• msrose
    14 years ago

The one I posted is by Jefferson Sofa at Bassett Furniture.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Jefferson Sofa

• homebodymom
    14 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE the sofa and the fabrics as well! IMHO, I would flip flop the fabrics though... I would use the chair or the pillow choice fabrics on the sofas, and the busier fabric for the chairs. I just think you will tire of the busier fabric if there is so much of it. I can understand that you dont want to use a solid, but I think either of the simpler geometric patterns you have chosen would give you a cleaner, more updated look. That being said, all of your fabric choices are beautiful, and the shape of the couch is as well!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Love the fabric choices! However my only reservation is the two geometrics looking too similar. The middle fabric looks green to me which I don't see in the floral. If the smaller geometric IS a good compliment to the floral, I would put that on the sofa with a big lumbar pillow in the floral with gold bullion fringe. I would find a different pattern for two more accent pillows placed on either end of the lumbar to compliment all the above. The floral I would also put on the chair.
    Its going to be gorgeous!

• les917
    14 years ago

I would do the couch in the diamond fabric that you suggest is for pillows, and use the floral for the pillows. The chair fabric is too similar to the diamond of the couch, so I would look for a stripe that pulls the colors in, perhaps with another color that could be picked up as an accent.

I am not a fan of couch and loveseat and one chair. I think couch and two chairs gives you some flexibility in arrangement and seating. In fact, you could later add a third chair of a different style and fabric, such as a leather or a cane/wood chair with upholstered seat, and it would give you the same amount of seating but with more options of how you use the room.

No comment regarding the arrangement, as we don't see the rest of the walls in the room to sense how the space all works.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Msrose, I think the couch you like, I saw. We are going to order a Bassett sectional for the den. It was right across the way from it, in solid red. Was comfortable, and very similar to the couch we're (hopefully) buying.

homebody, kmcg & les-thanks to you all for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards the two chairs instead of the love seat, but what to do when DH wants a love seat??? That's what I get when I asked for his input. But seriously, he was a big help in picking out fabrics and liking the style couch I chose.

The problem with changing around the fabric is that the couch is from England Furn. and the two fabrics in the first picture are their fabrics that you choose from. We didn't like anything else they had to offer, or at least that particular store had to offer. The fabric in the middle of the second pic, the one for the chair is from Best Furn., a totally different company and is from their selection of fabrics, so I can't use it on the couch.

But, as far as the middle fabric matching in color, it does, it's a golden yellow, and very similar to coloring in the floral looking fabric. I'm not sure I'd like going with the more geometric of the two fabrics on the whole couch, I'm just not a geo. type of gal. I'm trying to go for a "WOW" factor when you walk in the house and I just thought the "floral" fabric would really catch the eye as you walk in the door. I wish there were a way to see a couch done in this fabric. My old computer crashed and I no longer have photoshop otherwise I'd try to copy and paste from the pic I have to see how it would look. But having said that, I did take the fabric piece they had in the store and put it on the couch itself and we both liked it. What I should have thought of doing was when I found out they had two of the same swatches, put both piece on the couch which would give me even a better idea, maybe when I go back. Owner was nice enough to give me the one swatch until I return.

I'm also not sure, with the fabric at least, how DH will feel if I start trying to re-work things all over again. He went with me upon my request to help pick things I really don't want the responsibility of picking and choosing everything myself, and I do want his input because I want us both to like it, not me pick it and him live with it. I'm afraid if I start trying to push for other options that he's going to feel "why bother?" when it comes to his opinion because I change my mind and do what I want differently later, if you understand what I'm saying. He's so easy going, he'll agree to anything I want, but I don't like doing that, I want him to know that his opinion counts and that I do value it. I can't think my way is the only or best way all the time.

So, with that being said, he does know I'm on the fence about the love seat, that I think I can work on not buying, probably tell him let's get the couch and one chair for the time being and see how it looks, and then order from there.

As far as the room itself goes, it's a bit of an odd layout. Think of it as you walk in to the house, of a T with the entry way being the lower part of the T and the living room being the horizontal part of the T, but a bit wider on the right side than the left.

I'm thinking of eventually doing a built in bookcase on the of the T and possibly, on the right, put some type of pedestal table and art on the wall. Below are some pics of the room, the ones with the furniture are when the previous owner had it, so please don't think that is my furniture.

This is the entry to the house, pic taken from living room

As you walk in to the living room, this is the left side of the T (the hallway in the pic goes to the bedrooms)

Another full view of the left side of the T/living room

Continue view of the left side of the T, left side of living room as you walk in, with the large window being the living room wall/windows you see as you walk in to the house

Back of living room wall where I'd place the back of the couch against. The window to the right is in the dining room, there's a half wall on the right side of the living room seperating the two rooms

This is the right side of the T/living room with that half wall

Another view of the right side. The doorway in the pic is to the kitchen, which you pass as you are walking in the entry way in to the living room. I am thinking about putting a pedestal type table here to put pictures of family on, a table gallery of sorts, I guess. Place artwork on the two walls. Any other ideas?? I've had suggestions of another seating area, which I don't need, so that idea is out. Maybe one accent chair, to use int he grouping if ever needed, but not more seating.

So, when you walk in, you really only see what's straight ahead of you in the living room and won't see the left and right side of the T until you are basically in/near the actual living room

I will be removing the ceiling fan that is in the room and totally off centered and center the electrical and put in a lighting fixture.

I'm not sure what else I could come up with to fill those two areas other than what I thought of - any thoughts?

So, for the most part, the fabrics we picked out go together in the opinions of those who posted,?? This is really what I'm most interested in knowing your opinion on. I know everyone has their own opinions on what would work best in their eyes and I truly appreciate every single opinion, but if these will work together I think I'm going to go with these and maybe work in 2 solid pillows that I'll search for at a later date. Your opinions on the loveseat do help me in knowing that I'm probably going to try and sway DH to go with chairs instead.

I know that I'm the kind of person who doesn't like making a mistake and I ask and want others opinions, and I take all of these in. But then I start second guessing anything I do and start thinking and rethinking everything. Do I go with what I think is good, at least in my eyes, or go with the popular opinion? When I have nothing in mind, or ideas that don't seem to be coming together, I need those opinions more than ever, which is an issue I'm having with the master bathroom right now - I definitely need the help and ideas of others.

I guess what I'm saying is that I do want all opinions, otherwise, I wouldn't ask, and I want honest opinions at that. If I don't seem to go with the popular opinion, it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and value the information and the time it's taken for any and all who reply because it does. Hopefully you can understand what I'm saying.

This whole house is going to be a work in progress for some time. I see it's potential, I just need to find a way to pull it out and all together without going broke. With the help of this site, I'm sure it will all come together and I'll get some great ideas I can use.

Thanks to you all.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Here's my honest opinion. The fabrics are beautiful and I like that style sofa also. Laurie - love that one you posted and especially the round ottoman. I'm thinking about replacing the sofa and a chair/ottoman combo in our great room and I am definitely going to look at that sofa in person!

Debelli - back to you. One thing I'm thinking is those fabrics might be a little *dressy* (formal?) looking for the tile floors. Also from your comments it sounds like you wouldn't use the room alot as a living room. That's alot of $$$ to put into a room that you won't use much. Have you considered doing something with the room to where you might use it more? Something that might work better for your family than a formal living room? You mentioned built-ins and a table and chairs. I love those ideas. How about something more along the lines of a keeping room? You could have a sofa/chairs, etc. but I'd do a bit more casual style. Have your built-ins and maybe a comfy chair or two to read in. That could be a seperate seating area. Then use your table and chairs for eating space, game playing, etc.

Does the website for the sofa have an option where you can view fabric on the sofa? I have only ever had one sofa that we bought off the floor. The others I have always done the custom fabric. The last one we bought, the store was able to show us the sofa with our fabric choice on it. Helped me so much in making my decision! I'd also go with two chairs vs. a loveseat.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I hope all our thoughts somehow help you! Let us know what you decide.

tina

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks tina,

One of my critierias when looking for a home is that it HAD to have a formal living room AND a den/family room. Not that we really use the living room, as I said, more for show, but for me, it's important not only as it's what I like, but that we REALLY live in our den.

With a formal living room I can have people that I may not know as well and wouldn't possibly take in to the den, and not have to worry about how it looks as it would always be nice in there - as my living room in my current home is now (I'm doing a slow move) Our den is crapped up. If I'm reading a magazine I may put it on the floor, have a stack of books piled up in there, laundry sorting on the couch, etc. That will be our comfy room. Also needed a den since I'm banned from the kitchen (terrible cook) and DH sends me out - one of the reasons we don't like great rooms.

The people who owned the house had a mish mash of old mis-matched pieces of furniture in there. It made looking at this house very unappealing. Here's a couple views of their living room and how they had it

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT MY FURNITURE IN THESE PICS!!!!

The tile on the floor, it's a motled hue of gold and gray basically. It actually does go nicely with the fabric when I layed it on the floor. With the right area rug and other pieces in the room I think it will be fine. Trust me, if I could throw all caution to the wind and money wasn't an object I'd rip up the floor and put wood, but this floor has started to "grow" on me and it's not so bad. There's about 660 sq feet of this floor and I just can't see ripping it up. If it wasn't so expensive I'd probably put it in the kitchen area, just another design.

Thanks!!!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I appreciate such a thoughtful post and I can see where you are coming from. The simple answer to your question and I think most have replied in this vein is that yes, they are beautiful fabrics and they go together nicely. If you have no real hesitation and it sounds like you are 90% settled, I would go with your gut. I think you already know that, but like many of us here, just need that little validation that you are on the right track. I am very much like you, so I can understand your not wanting to make a mistake and I think it is so sweet of you to really take your DH's opinions into consideration, (especially since he already likes what you picked out). So, full steam ahead and please come back with pics for the unveiling and know that we look forward to helping with the rest of your new home :)

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I think you're going to have too much pattern going on with the floral sofa, geometric fabric chairs and the vastness of the tile floor. If you were to get an area rug, it would definitely have to be a solid color. I also wonder why your husband wants a love seat. You can't lay down on them and depending on who you're sitting next to, it can get too close for comfort.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks kmcg, I appreciate the validation It's hard when you don't know something. I do like the fabric. I know I could probably find something better that I like if I look, but I know I could look forever and continually find things I liked better and never end up buying anything. I know me. I'm second-guessing purchasing the house. I want things to come easy to me, I want to know and understand things easily and I want things to go the way I think they should. Throw in something I don't know about and I'll try to find a way to understand them and learn, but that's just not feasible for everything and that's why I look to others to get guidance and knowledge, opinions and ideas. Also, when things aren't as easy as I thought I'd be, I do start to second guess myself.

DH is a pure doll. He'll do anything to make me happy. He really surprised me when we went to look for a sectional. He picked out a wonderful fabric for the couch AND the 2 fabrics for the 6 pillows AND a rug too. They all work together nicely. I found the main fabric for the couch in the living room and we looked through all the fabrics there and the diamond pattern is the exact same coloring as the couch fabric, but nothing else we find for the accent chairs so we went with the chair we liked and looked through their fabrics. The picture of the yellow fabric is actually on a chair in the show room and we put both the couch fabrics on there to see how they matched. Could we find a better match, possibly, but again, we could have an empty living room for a long time if I keep going and going. If I start second guessing something we've decided on he asks me "I thought we decided this was it, why are you still looking and driving yourself crazy?" And it's true, it's what I do, and he knows me oh so well. Before I order the couch I'll definitely go back and take both swatches and lay them on the couch in the showroom and give it the final thought before I order.

k9arlene, the pattern in chairs is really not big and I feel it's more of a solid look than a pattern, but I really don't care for a solid - maybe a tone on tone, but not solid. DH just likes a love seat, more seating for people. We won't be laying down on any of this furniture, that' what the den is going to be for :)

I will try to check the thread for any additional posts and update when we make a decision.

Thanks!!!

• suero
    14 years ago

Here's your couch style in a floral pattern.
    {{gwi:1636874}}
    And the loveseat
    {{gwi:1636876}}

• User
    14 years ago

Love the fabrics you have chosen, very formal, but I just dont see it working well with the tile floor, sorry, jmo.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I may now be having second thoughts since I was able to find the fabric for the couch on another website, not Englands! I was able to see a rendering of the couch with the all over pattern and as many of you have warned/advised, it does look a bit too much. Of course, it is a rendering, but I'm going to proceed with caution and again, go look at the couch using both large swatches available at the store before doing anything else. It's a stunning fabric, and as I sit here and type, I look at it and in front of me it just doesn't look like it would be too much, at least not on one piece, but after seeing this rendering, I am now not sure. I will show the rendering to DH and see what he has to say. Funny I couldn't find the fabric for the pillows anywhere, Englands or the other website.

Here you go!

{{gwi:1636878}}

Won't be back to where the house is for a few weeks (another state) so may not make an firm decisions until then.

Thanks all - you may have provided me with keeping from making a costly mistake!

• deeinohio
    14 years ago

I've been hestitating about offering this UNASKED FOR advice, but please google "England furniture" and check out the complaints regarding quality. Since you've mentioned you'll be keeping this furniture for a long time, and you are spending a lot of money, I'm sure you want to get the best quality you can. Many of the complaints are for furniture only weeks old. I would want someone to tell me if I was contemplating a purchase of this magnitude. (Please forgive me if I've offended you.)
    Dee

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Awww geeze Debelli! It's a pain, I know! Exactly why I have not been looking for a new sofa yet. LOL

Just take your time, do your homework and don't *settle*. It will all turn out.

tina

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Tina, I appreciate the info about England. I'm surprised, they are owned by Lazy-Boy, but then again, I really don't know their quality. I'm glad you let me know and appreciate the info, I'll definitely look in to that information and check it out.

tina, won't be hasty, I know that time will be a benefit in one way or another!!

THANKS!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Well, I am going to risk saying that I love my patterned sofa. I have a solid one in the family room and a chintz in the library. I have ALWAYS loved the chintz. It makes my "heart sing" every single time I see it. I wish I had bought extra fabric for a loveseat since the fabric is now discontinued and I have a loveseat from my parents' home that needs recovering. It would be perfect in that room with the same upholstery, but I'm out of luck. Guess I'll have to find another chintz I love as much and redo both pieces. Ugh.

The one thing I would say is to be sure to invest in a quality piece. I've had my couch for more than 20 years and it is as good as the day I bought from a high end hotel in Philadelphia that was closing (stood in line with thousands of others for hours just to get in and what a deal I got-such fun!).

Can't wait to see your place when it is finished!

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I showed DH the picture and though not exactly like the fabric on the rendering, quite close. He still likes it and thinks we should go for it. I'm going to read about the quality next.

Will update as possible.

cyn, would love to see a pic of your find!!!

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

Make sure DH isn't just saying that he still likes the fabric because he's tired of looking...........