SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bri29_gw

Kitchen/Home Design Software Recommendations

bri29
15 years ago

I'm just starting to plan my kitchen renovation and I'm trying to decide what kitchen design software to purchase. I'm a mechanical engineer and I work in 3D CAD all day long, but I've never designed a kitchen. I could just build the kitchen in my CAD package at work, but then I'd have to build all the components from scratch which would be very time consuming and possibly inaccurate. It would be nice to just be able to drop in cabinets and start playing rather than spending several weekends building cabinet models!

I would like to use the software now for working on my kitchen, but I may end up "building" my house in it and playing with other things, so I don't want to eliminate the home design software packages. My primary focus is on the kitchen though, so I don't want to sacrifice quality there to get the home design capability.

I could always go with pencil and paper, but I'm a hopeless sucker for a 3D rendering. I would also like decent representations of the kitchen with materials as I am not very good at choosing finishes and would like to see it before I buy it. I've tried a few of the free programs (Ikea's most recently) and have been frustrated with all the bugs and crashes. I'm willing to spend a little bit of money for this, but I don't want to go nuts!

So what design software do you all use? What are the pros/cons? Also if you have examples of things you've created in it that would be very helpful. Thank you all very much for your help. I'm sure I'll be asking for more help once I get started on layout. TIA!

Bri

Comments (4)