SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Kitchen/Home Design Software for Novices

greasetrap
9 years ago

My wife and I are in the early stages of working with a GC who specializes in kitchen remodels to renovate our kitchen, and likely other areas of the house as well. He's drawing up the plans, but everything we contemplate affects other areas, and the house is quirky enough that it's not immediately obvious whether an idea will work.

Rather than bounce ideas off of the contractor and wait for him to come back with new plans, I'd like to experiment with different designs myself. Could anyone recommend a basic design package that I could use to do this?

I'm by no means a DIYer, so I don't need anywhere near the features of a professional program. I just want to experiment with different layouts and discuss these with my wife beforehand, to make our sessions with the contractor more productive.

Basically I'd like something that is easy to learn and use. Elevations and 3D walkthroughs would be nice, but I could certainly get by with just basic room layouts. The other feature that I'd really like would be the ability to drop various kitchen cabinets and appliances into the diagrams. I don't need to choose trim or do anything fancy - just put in the basic cabinet layout.

I was looking at the Home Designer Interiors package by Chief Architect. Does anyone have experience with this package? My major concern with this package is that it might not be very intuitive and instructions seem to be given by online videos. I'd much rather look something up in a manual rather than watch countless hours of videos to get the information I need.

I'd greatly appreciate hearing any suggestions that members might have.

Comments (6)