SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midcenturymod_gw

Water Heater Leaking, Replace with Navien Tankless?

14 years ago

Went to wash my face before bed late last night--the Bay Bridge is closed and I had to go the very long way around--and there was no hot water. Went downstairs and it was leaking, had the wherewithal to turn off the gas and the water even though I'm a girl.

I could not get the icky spiderweb-y hose I dragged down there threaded onto the drain, so I just dropped a towel on the floor and prayed the wood floors outside the utility room would survive (the water seems to have flowed under the wood and into the carpet in the next room over).

I have a home warranty, but the people they contracted with were on the other side of the broken bridge and too busy to come out. The warranty people called someone else who just came out. He managed to thread the hose and the tank is draining as I write. Yay!

He said the warranty company would give me a $500 credit towards replacement and they could to a tankless for $2500 parts and labor. There's a state rebate for $1500 so the total cost to me, eventually and if the state stays afloat, would be $1000.

Anyway, he said I have a choice between Rinnai and Navien, but Navien would be best due to the placement mid-basement and having PVC venting pipes. I've read mixed reviews online--what say you? He could install the Rinnai, but I think it would cost more for the venting, OR he could put the tank outside, but it would be on the exact opposite side of my master bath, at least 50 feet.

Thanks so much!

Comments (2)