SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

We need to replace water heaters; how to decide tanks or tankless?

AJCN
2 years ago

I started a post today and I'm abandoning it bc I need to reframe my question. I want to see what people think of tanks vs tankless water heaters, what the pros and cons are and what factors I should consider.

We must replace our water heaters (2 tanks in the attic; Texas builders put them in the attic) because they are very old and we want to get ahead of it before they fail.

We've replaced them once since we moved into this house 22 years ago, but they are old again (16 yrs and 14 yrs). At that time I didn't consider tankless bc I just didn't know much about it.

Now, we have to replace again, and are considering tankless.

Our family and life-style: We are a family of 6, but 2 kids are off to college and 1 is about to leave for the US Navy. We have 1 HS senior here still, but she will be going to college next Fall. So we are very close to being empty-nesters. We have a "feast-or-famine" dynamic in our house bc we have a huge extended family who visits at least 4-5 times a year. Even though we will be empty-nesters soon, when family comes to visit the house is full. Every bedroom and pullout couch will be used and all bathrooms will be used. We have 5 bathrooms. So those are the times that I would like that never-ending hot water! All the other times in between family gatherings, it will just be us two, and we travel quite a bit to see other family and see our far-flung kids, so it seems like a waste to have the tanks constantly being kept hot up in the attic. And having them up in the attic has always freaked me out a bit, but that's how they do it down here in Texas. We are not selling or moving until we have to, so this decision is just for us. But also, if we choose tankless, it's seems responsible to size the unit for the house (5 bedrooms, 5 full bathrooms) for future owners. Hubby says he did the math and about an 11 GPM should be about right.

When I made my earlier post I was asking about the best brands for tankless. But I'm making this new post bc I think I need to decide tank vs. tankless and then think about brands, GMP and other details.

Comments (2)