SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeetera

Parrot helps save the life of choking girl

zeetera
15 years ago

I don't know where the phrase bird brain came from but these little animals seem to be extremely intelligent. Here's a copy of the story. See the link for a picture of the bird.

A pet parrot has been honored as a hero after helping to save the life of a choking girl.

Willie, a Quaker parrot, has been given the Animal Lifesaver Award by the Red Cross chapter in Denver, Colorado.

In November, Willie's owner, Megan Howard, was baby-sitting for a toddler. Howard left the room and the little girl, named Hannah, started to choke on her breakfast.

The feathered protector repeatedly shouted "Mama, baby" and flapped his wings, and Howard returned in time to find the girl already turning blue.

Howard saved Hannah by performing the Heimlich maneuver but said Willie "is the real hero."

Hannah's mother Samantha Kuusk told KCNC-TV: "The part where she turned blue is always when my heart drops no matter how many times I've heard it. My heart drops in my stomach and I get all teary eyed."

Willie got his award during a Breakfast of Champions event Friday attended by Colorado governor Bill Ritter and Denver mayor John Hickenlooper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Willie the Parrot

Comments (2)