SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meghane_gw

please help with 2 behavior issues.

Meghane
17 years ago

I have a nice approximately 1 year old female recently spayed Rottie foster, Kate Moss. She is mostly obedient, but the one thing I'm having a huge problem with is her jumping up on people, mostly me.

I've tried the bent-knee approach, saying no and giving a command she knows (sit), holding my arms out so when she jumps up she knocks her noggin, turning away, running away, and I think I'm about to lose my mind!

She's really a good dog, and I guess perhaps her previous owner thought it was cute for her to jump up, but I do not! Also it precludes her from being safely placed into a home with small children, and that's a shame because I think otherwise she'd be great.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Kate Moss gets WAY too excited in the presence of food (unlike her namesake I think:), which causes her to jump up even MORE!

She gets walked plenty (2 1-hour FAST walks a day), so it's not like she's got whim-whams needing to be burned off. In fact, 99% of the time, she is content to just lay somewhere in the room with me. It's when I first jail-break her (she has to stay in a cage while I'm gone, and yes, one of those walks is before school), when I'm leashing up to take the dogs out for any reason (walks, potty, whatever), when I leave the room, when I'm getting their food prepared; pretty much anything exciting.

The other problem is that Kate Moss does not get along with my male Lab, Max. Max has never been a fan of other dogs anyway. But Kate Moss just stares at him and makes him uncomfortable, and when Max gets off the sofa (Kate is not allowed) she runs after him. Sometimes they have barking matches that can get pretty scary sounding, but neither dog takes an aggressive stance- no hackles or lips curls, etc. Sometimes Kate gets right in Max's face, which sets him right off. It's like two siblings, the way they "fight." We've been focusing on controlling Kate Moss, because we don't want her to react that way to any dog. It seems that Max knows he gets priveledges that Kate doesn't get (ie- the sofa), but he isn't sure of himself enough to just resolve the dominance issues once and for all.

Kate Moss gets along great with Ana and Tatya (my Huskies) and with K'Ehleyr, my old Rottie. Tatya and Kate play all the time- running around play-biting, wrestling, that type of thing. They love it. I just don't understand what the deal is with Max.

Thanks for any insight and suggestions you may have.

Comments (9)