SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

should I get soft paws for kitty? how do I know if he's hungry

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

I am in the process of making 2 changes in my cat's life and I wanted to ask some advice. Firstly, I want to give him a crown so that he can be worshipped properly. I just don't know if I should get gold or silver. Secondly, I want to get him a matching throne. I just don't know if I should get a velour seat or leather. Please let me know what you think. Just kidding :O) Now for the real questions!

He is starting to damage my love seat with his claws. And, I just bought a new leather office chair that I am terrified of him scratching. I also just moved 2 months ago so I am sleeping on an Aerobed until I get more furniture. He's done fine so far, but I have this recurring nightmare of him popping my bed and me going sailing out the window mid slumber. I have a memory foam topper on it, so it isn't likely to fall victim to puncture. He doesn't have access to the bedroom when I am not home. I clip is paws once a week, but he is still messing up the love seat. He is very well behaved, and uses the scratching post like a good kitty. The damage he is causing is "accidental"... when he climbs up or down from the furniture. Or walks across and gets a paw stuck in the weaves of the fabric. Has anyone ever tried those soft paws that are advertised in Cat Fancy magazine? They are plastic caps that go over the cats paws. They are advertised as a humane alternative to declawing. Are they effective, and how often do they need to be changed? My boyfreind (who only visits 1 or 2 times a week because of distance, not live in) keeps demanding I get him declawed. I have heard horror stories about this and am not sure I want to put my baby through that.

Also, how do I know if he is a really hungry? I just switched my 8 month old tabby (neutered male), Jasper, from dry food to wet food. Since dry has charbs and no water8, I think it is appropriate that I switch. I just don't know how much to give. I feed him when I have my breakfast, and right before or after work depending on which shift I work. I used to just fill his shallow bowl with the dry stuff twice a day. Now, I give him half a can of wet food per meal. So that's about a 3 oz can total per day. I started just yesterday. He seems to enjoy it, and actually purs while eating now. But, he keeps crying for more. How do I know if he "needs" more or if he just "wants" more. What's a healthy serving for this age and activity level? He sleeps during the day and plays with me or his toys when he's not asleep. He is an only cat. I do not want to free feed. So, if you've any advice I'd certianly appreciate it!

thanks!

Comments (11)