SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

How do I get a cat to drink more water?

michelle_phxaz
14 years ago

I have an older Ragdoll, Frank, who is 11 years old, and he has always been a bit on the chunky side. I also have two female Ragdolls, 5 and 10 years old. Lately I can feel Frankie's backbone, and I know he has lost at least a pound. His interest in food has been lacking (NEVER a problem before!) and even the treat of junk food canned 9-Lives didn't entice him much. A year ago he would have finished off a whole can on his own, this time between the three of them only about 1/3 of the can was eaten.

All three of our Ragdolls eat Hills Prescription KD for kidney health, my middle cat (10 year old female) had kidney failure last year and came back with a vengeance after kidney stone surgery and a steady diet of the Hills canned and dry. The vet said that it was fine to have all three cats eat that same food, and for about 16 months now everything has been fine. I stopped the 9-Lives as a treat altogether way back then, so I figured maybe he was tired of his same ol'-same ol' diet and needed a treat last night to get him to eat more than he has been lately.

Frank's bowel movements are hard and dry, and I watched him pee last night and there wasn't much that came out.

I am taking him to the vet either tomorrow or as soon as I can get an appointment, but since he doesn't drink as much water as I would like to see, is there some flavoring that I can add to get him to drink more? I do have sub-q fluids and the whole setup if it comes to that, but I would obviously rather have him drink on his own.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (19)