SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piddlerdad3

Do I really need a drinking water filter?

piddlerdad3
17 years ago

My wife has purchased a Culligans Under-sink filter system and asked me (dumb husband) to install. Okay. So why are we doing this?

I'm the "why" and "research" person - and I guess if i was a good DH I'd have already put the thing in. I've been gathering from reading for an hour on these posts that people want drinking water filtered for several reasons, but I'm not sure why i need my water filtered. I live in Mesquite, TX - a place where my water is filtered / treated already. From reading my City website I found out that several neighboring cities as well as mine have our water treated by the North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD). It is drawn at this time from Lake Lavon which serves a large part of North Texas, along with several other lakes around here. NTMWD already does alot to make sure we don't get sick from drinking water, so I guess i need more proof that i need to do something at all on my end, since I'm already paying for water treatment through my city.

And I really don't want someone telling me I need a water filter when I really don't. Our city water tastes great to me - at least in the house we live in right now (built in 1989).

I just pulled my water analysis report, but I don't know what's good and bad in this thing. To see my report, you can go to the following web address in case the link at bottom of this post doesn't work:

http://www.ntmwd.com/WaterQualityAnalysis1006.pdf

Can someone tell me if i really need to install this filter system? I don't mind doing it at all, but I like to have a good reason for doing things that take time and effort running around trying to figure out how to tap a plastic line into a copper one. I've looked at my parts provided and I don't see anything here that excites me about hooking in a plastic (poly....) line into a copper supply line. I see flooding potential here.

Many thanks! dennis

Here is a link that might be useful: North Texas Drinking Water Analysis

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor