SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_margelony

Don't know what to do about kitty

Kelly Margelony
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

So, about 4 years ago we adopted a kitten. We didn't adopt her out of desire - she was part of a litter a stray cat had at my brothers house, and he felt determined to raise them and find them homes. We already had 4 cats and a dog prior to her. In hind sight, we should've just let her go to a shelter. She was always a bit skiddish but every so often would come to us and lay with us. But most of the time she hides. She hates the other animals. She's become so territorial that she sprays on EVERYTHING! Couch, floor, dinner table, anything left lying on the floor like shoes or clothing, miscellaneous items on tables (like if I leave the mail on the table). It's definitely just spraying as it's only small amounts of urine. We've taken her numerous times to the vet to rule out health issues, and it's definitely been determined to be behavior. Likely due to her stressed out from the other animals. She is not on prozac. Prozac helped for a few weeks, now she's back to spraying again. A lot. I've been trying to get my vet to call back in hopes that maybe she just needs an increase in medication. She hasn't called back yet in 2 weeks...

It's to the point where I am looking to just get rid of her. I'm sure she'd do so much better with no other cats. My fear is that she will never get over her urge to pee everywhere. No one will take her. Even the local shelters have basically said that since she pees, they either won't take her, or they will take her but she will most likely just be euthanized. I have also thought about just making her an outdoor cat at my house, but then I fear she will bring diseases in to my other cats.

I am so torn. My house is destroyed. It smells so bad. She's peed so much everywhere that it's become impossible to clean everything. We've been using the proper cleaners too, but there's just so much pee. We've also tried the diffusers, but nothing calms her. She's SO stressed and anxious. I really can't keep her. I keep thinking that my keeping her is actually hurting her more - she is so stressed out because of these other cats. But I can't stand to think that if I bring her to a shelter that they will just end up putting her down. Since no one can say for sure that if she's in a cat-free home she will stop spraying, she's too high risk.

I am at a loss for what I should do. Leave her at a shelter that will take her? Have her start going outside for periods of time in hopes it will help her stress? Can she then transmit other diseases to my indoor cats, even if she's up-to-date on her shots? My indoor cats don't get most of the "outdoor" cat shots since it's not a risk to them.

To add, she is spayed. This issue has been really a nightmare for pretty much most of her life. After 4 years of dealing with this and going to the vet constantly, I just can't handle it anymore.

Comments (13)