SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poolanalyst

Pool Predictions for 2009

poolanalyst
15 years ago

Here are some not-so-full-of-myself predictions for 2009.Because they are predictions, they may, or may not, turn out to be true.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Prediction #1

Shotcrete will continue to come under competitive pressure from gunite in regional areas(the Carolinas) where, 5 years ago, gunite was a very minor player.The reason for this is that Carolina concrete supply companies are increasing prices, as they have seasonally done over the past 3-4 years, but overall construction (demand) is way down.The invisible hand of the free market will be the death knell of shotcrete-unless the applicators reduce their price per square yard.One other economic advantage in favor of gunite is that the applicators supplies the labor AND the material.Shotcrete usually required the Pool Builder to pay for the concrete supplier.If you can ascertain that a PB is using both methods,then they are just broadening their supply base in a very weak economy, i.e., robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Prediction #2

Pool sales will be down 40%-60% from F.Y. 2007

The heart of the economic engine for pool builders, the home equity loan, is cut out.Pool builders whose economic model was built on this business model will die....unless they can adapt.Adaptations will include going into pool service work such as remodels and renovations, possibly even weekly pool service.The demarcation lines between "who does what" will blur.You might see traditionally commercial pool builders building residential, residential builders building commercial, vinyl pool builders building concrete/gunite, concrete/gunite building vinyl, etc.

The survivors will be the pool builders with the least overhead, i.e.,big buildings,full time employees on payroll, fancy and vast fleets of vehicles.If you are an "in-house" builder and you don't own your equipment outright, you are going to be in trouble.If you are making big payments on your building, that's a problem.Look for bankruptcies just to get out of leases and auto/truck loans.

I am looking for at least one default of a property developer who is having a pool/clubhouse built(just a guess, no inside info.).

Comments (22)