SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whispering_raven

Frogfest 2009 - In the Swimming Pool

whispering_raven
15 years ago

Greetings to everyone! I have enjoyed reading the posts in various forums on this site for the last few years, and now I find myself in a situation where I think I need to post. :) I hope I am in the right forum. This will be long, because I think we need to explain the situation.

My husband and I purchased a farm at the end of last year (2008) and are in the process of converting it into an organic herb farm. We have a swimming pool that looked like it may have been somewhat neglected over the years. We decided to uncover it last week to assess the maintenance. It was rather swampy. It was determined that the only way to restore the pool to it's normal function would be to shock it and then we can maintain it with natural enzymes.

Friday night, we heard the wonderful calls of the treefrogs. Lo-and-behold...Within hours we were enjoying an incredible chorus!

Since the frogs seemed to take a liking to the pool, we were worried about killing them with pool chemicals. We recently dug a pond near our greenhouse and gardens which hadn't filled up yet, so we decided the best thing to do would be to drain the pool into the pond. So...we did. Last night, no frog songs. :(

My husband and I went out to inspect and we found eggs! EVERYWHERE! We spent most of this morning carefully relocating what we could to the pond. We found a few frogs hanging around, so we brought them over too and set up some broken flower pots and rocks around the bank for them to hide.

It's obvious that we have broken up their "breeding ground". I am feeling so incredible guilty! Do you think the eggs will survive the move? Do you think the frogs will find their way to pond and make it their own? Once the gardens are established they will enjoy a plethora of bug-buffets, but in the mean time, should I plant some vegetation in/around the pond to help keep it healthy and encourage critters like frogs?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Many Blessings!

Comments (2)